New Gear Oil Advice....

Grafixx01

Ok, I need to replace the seal on the rear diffs
pumpkin. Since they don't use an actual gasket, Jeep says just some silicon that
dries in like 5 minutes. Ok, got that, it's like $8.00 at the dealer.

Now
it comes down to the gear oil to put back in. I have a 2007 Rubicon Unlimited
with lockers in the rear and a guy I know was saying that there is a special oil
I have to use which he said is ONLY from Mopar. Turns out the dealer says I can
use anything as long as I put in this addative, which also is like $8.00 at the
dealer.

So what type of oil to use? I was looking at 80/90 Royal
Purple.... Any ideas???

Your on the right track. Royal purple is a great oil. at the local Jeep 4x4 shop up here the guys swear by the power punch additive in diffs with lockers. I've never used it but will give it a try at the next service.

I've heard of using an additive with a limited slip but not an actual locker. What kind of locker do you have? Also the RTV you're talking about for gaskets, and they do make gaskets but they aren't necessary, can be had at any auto parts or box store cheaper.

Any good 80/90 gear oil is good enough for a Rubicons E-locker. Some say 80/140 but that too heavy for the rear axle, unless your running bigger gears. I use Lucas brand. Now as to LS additive? Since your axle doesnt have clutch plates like a limited slip your just wasting your money.

Sent from my PG86100 using Jeepz

I been running 80 140 synthetic in my Rubi axles since the first fluid change and been told by a great tech at the dealer ship that I should use the additive with the factory E lockers in them. Over 62,000 miles and every thing is running great.

Yes power punch is additive that is made for lockers. the bottle reads that it helps with the locking and unlocking of your locker. I don't know if it works this is just what the guys at my 4x4 shop and the bottle says. IM a cheap skate I have lockers and I run Valvoline 75 80. so no input on how the power punch works but it does exsist

Back