new speakers

vavs

How exacly are you suppose to get the stock 4X6's in a Jeep YJ out? From what I can tell you have to take the whole dash off, is this true. Anyone that has already replaced their stock speakers help me out. Thanks.

vavs[addsig]

taking the dash off wont work, u just gotta reach ur hand up into the speaker mounts and pull 'em out. its a pain in the ass and ur gonna brush up on ur 4 letter words, good luck[addsig]

So you've decided to take a journey into the abyss of what masquerades as a rather simple speaker replacement. Well, my experience was anything but simple. If the dash speakers in your YJ haven't been messed with yet, it has at least one of not both upper speaker screws that will prove to be a royal pain in the a**. Simple as it sounds, because of 1) a protrusion on the inside of the compartment between the dash and the firewall and the silly little washer nuts that were used on the speaker screws, you have to get full access to the washer in order to remove the screw. What does then entail?

1. You don't need to remove the entire dash, but you will need to remove enough screws to loosen and separate the dash from the body so that you can get to the the upper nuts.
image-missing.png

2. To loosen the dash you need to a) remove the dash pad and b) flip the windshield down.
image-missing.png

3. To fip the windshield down, you need to remove the lower interior brackets and disconnect the roll bar.
image-missing.png

4. To disconnect the roll bar, you need to remove the sun visors.
image-missing.png

5. Once you've done all this, you'll have the pleasure of putting it all back together.
image-missing.png

Who ever thought you'd need to remove your sun visors in order to install dash speakers?

Anyhoo, once you go though all this trouble DO NOT use the original or even regular nuts to secure the new the speakers. I'd recommend using three wing nuts...leave the fourth screw (the hardest one to access) without a nut. Using wing nuts will allow you to switch your speakers out in the future by simply slipping your hand into the compartment and removing the nuts. The 3 wingnuts provide perfectly adequate support...the 4th screw and the hardest one to access (you'll soon know which one I'm talking about) is not necessary given the pain and trauma required to get to it.

Good luck.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Get yourself a Center Pod speaker system from Quadratec. It will sound 10 times better in than the stock placed front speakers in your Jeep and looks good. It mounts atop the transmission hump and is in the area behind your shifter. best deal for the money and no skined off knuckles! Just an idea! Tug[addsig]

heh just go to best buy and pick up a set of speakers that say "free installation" on them
image-missing.png
make best buy do it![addsig]

I just bought 2 Tsunami 6X9s with boxes and bolted them on top of the wheel wells, then i faded the sound back about 60% to the back. The stock 4X6's arent half bad when you dont push them over their limits... so i just kept em and my stereo is PLENTY loud
image-missing.png
When i had my cd player installed, they hooked up both the front and back wires to the 4x6's, because the fronts are dual voice coils... when i got my sneakers i just cut the "rear" wires off the harness and wired them through. sounds excellent.[addsig]

Back