New transmission

awetzel86

I am pulling my 4 banger for an I6 and I am trying to find out a good bolt in replacement without having to to to many modifications if not any to fit in a nsg370 or the nv1440 or whatever they are. I am leaning more towards a 6 speed. Have done multiple transmission replacements but never a transmission switch. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The perception: I'll take my 2.5L Jeep and just slap in a 4.0L.

The reality: Yeah, you can. Buy why would you? You've got to cut off the 2.5L engine brackets from the frame, weld on new 4.0L brackets, change out the front accessory package, modify or completely replace the wiring harness, swap out the transmission, clutch, and T-case input gear, change the transmission mount, rework the complete exhaust system, radiator hoses, ECU, and more. The only way it makes sense is if you have a complete donor sitting next to your Jeep and then, isn't it easier to just put your lift on the donor?

The exception: We can see doing the swap if you've got extensive chassis modifications and/or extensive cage and tubework done to your vehicle. But then, wouldn't you just go with a V-8 instead?

We think: You're still better off selling your 2.5L Jeep and buying a 4.0L Jeep if you're stuck on having the inline-six.

Read more: Top 10 Dumbest Jeep Engine Swaps - Jp Magazine

Another good one:
swaprules-1.jpg

What is it you want to end up with?

I've had a 2.5L in my YJ for a long time, this after having a 350 v8 in my old YJ. The 2.5L is a good engine. It's reliable, light, easy and cheap to work on. They can be fun to drive when the axles are geared properly for oversize tires. I run 5.38 axle gears for my 35" tires and don't have many performance complaints.

I had wanted to put in the 4.0 to instal AC and to add a stronger transmission. I'm Running 32X11.50 probably stock gears but I want to swap to d44 axles and gear them to maybe 4.88. But I just think its more beneficial after reading the couple links you posted to just sell it and try and find a rubicon since it has what I pretty much want in my jeep anyway.

Back