OEM soundbar or sound pod installation on a 98 TJ

jugghead23

some wrangler / cj stuff

I searched the forum and haven't really seen this topic or something similar covered before.

I have a 98 TJ SE and want to add two rear speakers. And before anyone suggests something other than the OEM options, that is all I am interested in. Not the sound wedges, not the 6-speaker soundbar etc. I have an uncle who works for Jeep and can get me either the pods or the bar at his cost.

My question is this, how exactly do these mount to the sport bar? Are there pre-existing holes that will accomadate either option? Will they mount through the sport bar padding or will that need to be trimmed.

My main concern is that I want the option that is screwed into the sport bar. In other words, I have seen some soundbars which seem to be strapped to the bar using velcro. I want something a little more sturdy.

There are a couple holes in my sport bar that look as if they were there to hold one of these speaker options.

I am not concerned about the wiring harness since we will wire directly to the stereo..

I was leaning towards the sound pods but the picture of them I have seen looks as if there are two posts that go into the bar so that the wires run through the sport bar. Is this the case?

Here is the pictures I am referring to:

image-missing.png

Thanks in advace for any info, I appreciate it

The Wires run through the main Roll bar. The side with 2 bolts will be on the side of the rear cage. These are not covered by Bikini or the 1/2 tops. Now, I don't think these "Pods" were offered until 2003 so you may not have the Roll cage holes but if you do, then they should be right under the padding.

PS your Bikini will have to be replaced to use these, the straps mount to the bolts to the rear of the Pods and you can't get the straps between the roll cage and the pod once it is on without removing the whole pod.

I don't have a bikini top. I'm an all or nothing type of guy.

Does the jeep OEM soundbar screw into the sport-bar at all or is it attached using velcro?

If they both attach via screws/bolts, I'll go with whatever is easiest to install. Maybe the soundbar? Either way, we're going to hardwire to the head unit

Jeep overcooling?

wanted to bump this back to the top...I'm hoping to speak with my uncle in the morning and wanted to tell him 'soundbar' or 'sound pods'...
Anybody else got any information?
Can/is the jeep OEM soundbar also be bolted/screwed into the roll bar rather than velcro'd?

my soundbar is the six speaker deal.....but it bolts to the roll bar. if your stock soundbar does not, its a simple bracket to make. although i am almost positive that the factory ones are bolted on.

ps. go with the soundbar for sure!!!

I'd go with the soundbar. I'm pretty sure that the OEM soundbar comes with a bracket to bolt onto the roll bar. I think it is some kind of U bolt that does not need to be drilled to the roll bar.-al

Rooster's Tip of the Day

thanks, I think I will go with the soundbar

Any chance anyone here with a factory installed soundbar would be willing to walk out to their jeep, pull back the velcro and see if such a bracket exists?

The only reason I'm even worried is doing the summer we spend a lot of time at Sandy Hook in NJ and the parking lots are big and unmonitored. Anyone who knows the jersey shore knows we get a fair amount of hooligans down during the summer months. I'm hoping to deter would be thiefs, not necessarily defeat them. Velcro does little to defeat a thief. I had a couple things stolen out of my jeep last summer, nothing big...old t-shirts (??) cigarette lighter...

cigarette lighter? lol,, that bites. I'm not sure if the bars come with regular hex bolts or special bolts, but if they come with regular bolts, try to find yourself a set that will need a special tool to loosen. This will help keep theives from even bothering to mess with your Jeep.-al

The YJ tub I got for my project had a stock soundbar in it that slipped through the roll bar padding on top and (small) bolted through the top bar. Was a little more difficult to remove than I thought it would be. That's all I have to say about that. 8)

thanks guys.

Spoke to my uncle this morning and asked him to pick me up a soundbar.
He spoke to his parts dept and they confirmed it does come with a bracket that screws into the roll bar.
I opted for the bar instead of the pods for the reasons L33TJ33P stated (the ability to still use a bikini top)

Best thing is, the soundbar is now free since I agreed to watch their pets while they went away for a long weekend.

jugghead23 said:
thanks guys.

Spoke to my uncle this morning and asked him to pick me up a soundbar.
He spoke to his parts dept and they confirmed it does come with a bracket that screws into the roll bar.
I opted for the bar instead of the pods for the reasons L33TJ33P stated (the ability to still use a bikini top)

Best thing is, the soundbar is now free since I agreed to watch their pets while they went away for a long weekend.

Awesome.Free Jeep Stuff.-al

Just a quick follow up:

Sound bar mounted.
Holes exist already in the sport bar however self-tapping screws that come with the sound bar break easily.
Discarded and tapped the holes properly. used 1/4-20 hex-head bolts with a little threadlock.

Assembled the wiring connector according to installation instructions, plugged in under dash, everything works.

I know I posted this similar stuff in another thread but figured some user someday might do about 'soundbar vs. pods' and figured I'd post my conclusions.

thanks

Back