Oil and Filters for 2006 Jeep Wrangler X

hoytman62

I just bought my first Jeep Wrangler X (2006). I was wonder what the best oil filters, transmission filters and oil that you can use and any other filters on it.
Also, what is the best add on air intake is there for it (K&N, Gold Banks Ram Air, etc) ?

Thanks for any input......

I use wix filters and regular dino oil change my oil about 3500 miles
(Napa gold filters are made by wix also)

The cold air intake aren't worth the money you don't really get any gains out of them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Jeepz

Last edited:
Wix oil filter or Purolator for air cleaner. Oil use 10w30 with ZDDP to protect your metal parts. Check if the ODPA ( oil pump drive assembly) was changed. 05 and 06 are known to fail around 50 k miles. Also check your CAT as they seem to fail around 40 to 50K mi.
Use only double platinum plugs champion 7034 or autolite app985.
Transmission oil synchromesh many use RP.
use only distilled water and HOAT or G05 Zyrex coolant.

As for performance upgrades CAI will be relearned by the PCM. CAT back no improvement by itself. Do not waist mony on any chip or tuner as they don't work. TB spacers do nothing but make your engine whistle. The biggest thing I found was a e-fan picks up a1-2 mpg.

Good luck!

Wix oil filter or Purolator for air cleaner. Oil use 10w30 with ZDDP to protect your metal parts. Check if the ODPA ( oil pump drive assembly) was changed. 05 and 06 are known to fail around 50 k miles. Also check your CAT as they seem to fail around 40 to 50K mi.
Use only double platinum plugs champion 7034 or autolite app985.
Transmission oil synchromesh many use RP.
use only distilled water and HOAT or G05 Zyrex coolant.

As for performance upgrades CAI will be relearned by the PCM. CAT back no improvement by itself. Do not waist mony on any chip or tuner as they don't work. TB spacers do nothing but make your engine whistle. The biggest thing I found was a e-fan picks up a1-2 mpg.

Good luck!

I don't want to seem ignorant, but was is a CAT and what does it do?
I had a new PCM put on by the dealer.

What is an e-fan and where can I purchase it?

Thanks...

There are no bad questions so no matter answers should not be demeaning...

A CAT is a catalytic converter. Yours should have three. One on each downtube and one just before the muffler. All on one piece of pipe. The CAT Converts toxins from the exhaust to less harmfull gasses.

A CAT BAck is a replacement for the exhaust post the catalytic converters. Usually larger diameter pipes and free flowing muffler.

An e-fan is an electric fan. Many se a ford tarus fan and a different controller. I use a flex a lite 485. Drive your jeep as is for a while and enjoy it prior to making changes. There are many sites with experienced jeepers with varying opinions. I suggest like you are doing research the changes and get opinions. The best mpg saver is keeping off the throttle and properly functioning vehicle.

With a plug change or 30kmi you should consider cleaning the throttle body and IAC ( idle air control). This will help maintain a smooth idle and consistant mpg. Oh every once in a while run your engine above 3200 rpm. This allows the valves rotate and avoid carbon build up.

Do not waist mony on any chip or tuner as they don't work.

I was just thinking of buying a tuner. I was told it could correct those difficulties that resulted from my tire size change on my '06 LJ. Do you think it will make no difference?

I was just thinking of buying a tuner. I was told it could correct those difficulties that resulted from my tire size change on my '06 LJ. Do you think it will make no difference?

Unless you have a rubicon the direct way of tire size compensation is the speedo gear. On the rubicon it is controlled by the PCM. The dealer could rr flash the PCM for free.

What are the difficulties you are experiencing from the tire change?

What are the difficulties you are experiencing from the tire change?

I have an auto transmission. It doesn't seem to shift at the right time. I was told I could adjust this with a tuner. Was told they even have ones specifically designed to be simple use that allow you to tell the tuner your tire size and it changes the shifting accordingly. I haven't begun to shop. Not so?

The transmission uses the speedometer to tell it when to shift, so if the speedo is off, the transmission will shift at the wrong time. Order the gear from Quadratec like I did in the article. Probably easier (and much cheaper) than trying to use a tuner.

The transmission uses the speedometer to tell it when to shift, so if the speedo is off, the transmission will shift at the wrong time. Order the gear from Quadratec like I did in the article. Probably easier (and much cheaper) than trying to use a tuner.

2x cheap n easy. Be sure to index it correctly and torque it back in app.

Back