ok ? whats the benifit of a ford 8.8 rear end

ok i see alot of guys r putting in the ford 8.8 rear end in there jeeps i have granaded these rear ends with a v-6 in a couger and that was just driveing sown the road i couldnt imagine useing one in my jeep! Not trying to disrest anyone just really curious as to y in my opinion it is a weak axle

It depends which "version" of it you get. For example the 8.8 from a ford mustang is different from the 8.8 in an explorer. There are tons of write-ups and comparisons out there. There is also a writeup here on Jeepz.

83-cj-7=383-stroker said:
ok i see alot of guys r putting in the ford 8.8 rear end in there jeeps i have granaded these rear ends with a v-6 in a couger and that was just driveing sown the road i couldnt imagine useing one in my jeep! Not trying to disrest anyone just really curious as to y in my opinion it is a weak axle

Bigger ring than 35 stronger if you get explorer lower gears and disc brakes from 96+

The biggest reasons people use them is because
A) Strength upgrade, supposed to be somewhere between a dana 44 and dana 60
B) The disc brake thing
C) Same lug pattern as a jeep. Put it in and you can use your stock wheels.
D) Width is pretty close to the jeep axle, so your wheels arent sticking a mile out the sides

No, its no 14 bolt full floater as far as strength is concerned, but it is a definite upgrade over the dana 35, and for the reasons listed above its a great choice if your only gonna replace the rear axle and not the whole driveline.

ok i run the amc 20 fully locked and a dana 30 front fully locked and i love them been wheeling it for 10 years now and they have been holding up really good for me i run 38's and 500+hp if i went with a 8.8 would it be stronger then my 20

ok i run the amc 20 fully locked and a dana 30 front fully locked and i love them been wheeling it for 10 years now and they have been holding up really good for me i run 38's and 500+hp if i went with a 8.8 would it be stronger then my 20

Personally i think that engine would tear it apart if you want strength go big or go home but if it works why spend money to make it better especially for 10 years on 38s

If I was you I would never even consider an 8.8 , if you have all that I would be running at least a 9 inch rear and a HP44 front but if it was my rig I'd probably have 60s . But if your front and rear endeavor held up I say if it ain't broke don't fix it!

im just thinking off going bigger cuz i want to go with bigger tires and so far i have been really lucky with it if you know what i mean ii want to put 44's on it by the end of the year what i would love ta do is set a set of eaton axles under it with 4 wheel steer

im just thinking off going bigger cuz i want to go with bigger tires and so far i have been really lucky with it if you know what i mean ii want to put 44's on it by the end of the year what i would love ta do is set a set of eaton axles under it with 4 wheel steer

Wow you are gonna have a pretty sweet setup when your done ... An 8.8 is nowhere near strong enough for what your wanting , you should consider 60s or maybe if you could find em for a good price rockwells. I would love to see your jeep when it is done, sounds like it is going to be pretty nice

yeah well to get it where i have it rt now has takein me 10 years to do dont know if ill be able to afford to get the rockwells yet or not got ta wait and see how this summer goes as far as cash flow goes !! but for now its doing really good my son turns 16 this summer so i might just decide to start a jeep project for him instead

yeah well to get it where i have it rt now has takein me 10 years to do dont know if ill be able to afford to get the rockwells yet or not got ta wait and see how this summer goes as far as cash flow goes !! but for now its doing really good my son turns 16 this summer so i might just decide to start a jeep project for him instead

I think the idea of starting a project for your son is awesome I wish my dad would have been interested in my jeep when I was 16, at that age my dad was doing everything he could to get my attention away from my jeep... It would have meant a lot to me if my dad had taken the slightest interest in mine, so as far as the build for your son goes it sounds great. As far as rockwells go they do get pricey but Dana 60's are also a good option , one thing is for sure though if you are going to 44s you need to get that 20 and 30 out of there because those axles with those tires are a really bad combination and will leave you stuck on the trail!! Whatever you do I hope it turns out for the best!!!!!

I agree that if stroker goes to 44's he will need to upgrade the axels. The Jeep we are wheeling now is a project for my son and I, when he was 16 he and I built a Bronco with a 400 HP 302. Didn't last long ( I grenaded the engine) but still have it on a stand in the garage waiting for a home. I would go to Dana 60's at a minimum if you plan on 44's.

You're center of gravity is way high with 38"s on stock axles. You will gain a ton of stability if you upgrade to full-width axles. It will require outboarding the spring hangers in the front.

Back