Opinions on spring spacer lifts

Cyanide

I was looking at a couple different spring spacer lift kits for my TJ. Nothing too big about 2" at the most. Since it is my daily driver I don't want to go nuts.....yet :D I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of lift and if so, any recommendations? I plan on doing a proper 6" lift later on but that will be after I buy another car to use as a daily driver. Any info would be great!

i posted a similar thread last night,myself!so many choices,so little info!man,6" is extreme!you could probably run at least 38" tires with that!i,too am pondering the pros and cons of a slight lift,and haven't had any replies to my post as of yet,but i am holding out to hear from some who have been there/done that!

2" coil spacer kits are a good option to clear up to 32" tires, 33" if you add a 1" body lift. Most 2" spacer kits are the same, I would make my decision based on recommendations of which kit had the smoothest riding shocks.

If your jeep sits nose down now, most TJ's do, consider adding another 1/2"-1" spacer in the front to level things out. They're stackable. You can get them from most retailers, or get an additional front coil isolator from the dealership.

Your '97 should have the adjustable cam bolts on the axle end of the front lower control arms. Check to be sure. Later TJ's don't have them and I always install them when using a 2" spacer lift. You can adjust your caster all the way out and get rid of all vibes.

I have 2" skyjacker spacer kit works great on and off road.

spaced kit
2" Poly Value Suspension System by Skyjacker and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

also got 1-3" rear nitro shocks
Softride Nitro Shock by Skyjacker and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

and got 1-3" front nitro shocks
Softride Nitro Shock by Skyjacker and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

and running 31" tires with no vibrations.

Picture 086.jpg

Good advice from Bounty_Hunter. No problem going this route to gain a little extra clearance for taller tires. Since most "budget boost" kits are pretty much the same, I think I'd look at sourcing the coil spacers separately from companies like Daystar, (see Poly Performance Inc. :: Suspension Kits/Parts :: Jeep Suspension Systems :: 1997-2006 TJ Wrangler Suspension Systems :: Daystar - Jeep JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CTM, Johnny Joints®, Currie Enterprises, Edelbrock, Total C) then pick my own shock absorbers depending on your needs and budget. Bearing in mind you say you're going to eventually go to a full suspension lift I wouldn't go crazy now but crappy shocks are just going to make you unhappy.

Lots of shocks to choose from. Hydro's, L.P. Nitro, H.P. Nitro, twin tube, mono-tube, piggyback, reservoir, and so on. Depends on what kind of wheeling you do and how heavy your rig is. I like Old Man Emu (OME) and Bilstein but a lot of guys also run Rancho and Skyjacker. Big thing about shocks is that although there are literally dozens of brands to choose from, there is really only a handful of companies that actually make them. Try and buy shocks that are valved specifically for your rig (or rigs of similar weight) instead of just a generic and it will perform better.

I've just replaced my 2" rubicon express coil spacer kit with some new 2.5" rough country coils. The spacers are ok, but I'm happier with the coils - they seem to ride better (a longer progressive spring). I did however run the spacers for 2 years with no problems.

If you are going to run the spacer for any length of time, or plan on offroading, I'd suggest you get some longer shocks to match.

I was looking at the Rubicon Express 2" kit that comes with the spacers and the longer travel shocks. I did have one question however. I have gotten mixed info on if you will have to adjust the driveshaft angle with a simple 2" lift. Some people have said you absolutely have to do it to avoid vibrations.
I have talked to several people that never adjusted a thing and say they don't get any kind of even minor vibration. I suppose it would be on a case to case basis but in general do you think I would have to?

I've installed many a spacer lift and never had to adjust the driveshaft angle. The only thing I do is run the cam bolts on the front axle all the way out to adjust caster, adjust them so it pushes the bottom of the front axle as far forward as possible. Takes care of what little vibes exist.

I was looking at the Rubicon Express 2" kit that comes with the spacers and the longer travel shocks. I did have one question however. I have gotten mixed info on if you will have to adjust the driveshaft angle with a simple 2" lift. Some people have said you absolutely have to do it to avoid vibrations.
I have talked to several people that never adjusted a thing and say they don't get any kind of even minor vibration. I suppose it would be on a case to case basis but in general do you think I would have to?

I installed my 2" RE kit two years ago and made no adjustments to the driveshaft and have had no problems at all. I really like the way it looks, it was easy to install and it rides great.

Back