Random Jeep Question

jeepmaster

i was just thinking about this today.. when the ZJ changed body styles it became the WJ (or maybe other way around) same with the wrangler (CJ, YJ, TJ) how come they didnt change the code for the XJ when they changed the bodystyle in 97?

they were going to call it the "BJ" but Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority sued them. :lol:

lol if kids there are anything like they are here i pity your friend. there are some pretty creative 2 word phrases starting with B and J

Probably because the changes were mainly subtle smoothing of the body lines. Every other change in nomenclature was accompanied by major model changes.

The XJ did eventually become the KJ with some major changes, albeit for the worse.

You were right, the ZJ became the WJ (in '98).

Hi,

My guess would be the body designation didn't change because the overall construction of the vehicle didn't change, just alot of cosmetic and interior updates.

-Nick :!:

same w. the YJ to TJ tho from the sides you often cant tell if they're just cruising by

on a side note not trying to start another YJ vs. TJ the vehicle in grand theft auto vice city that looks like the wrangler has square headlights, you can find it in both open (soft) and hard top

just a small side note on ZJ's there were a few minor changes from model years 95 to 96. The grill is taller and has a rounded bottom in 96 and newer. The name plates on the side went from the fender to the door. I know the dash changed too but I dont know when. Quite a few electrical changes and computer changes.

Like Bounty pointed out, the XJ has now turned into the KJ.......and prior to it's first ramake and renaming to XJ in 84, it was called the Eagle wagon. Remember those?

jeepmaster, the YJ's switch to car springs at all 4 wheels was a drastic redesign, along with the car dash. That's why they switched the nomenclature to TJ. The '96 to '97 XJ just saw no drastic redesigns.

fair enough, altho i would never say that the XJ turned into the KJ thats a disgrace. the KJ model merely replaced the XJ model. the XJ is way better

Hi,

Junkpile said:
.......and prior to it's first ramake and renaming to XJ in 84, it was called the Eagle wagon.

1984 was the first model year of the mid-sized Jeep Cherokee (XJ).

Any previous Cherokees were the full-size (SJ) style.

-Nick :!:

Yeah, alot of SJ Cherokee fans got pissed in 1984. I was referring to the 4wd Eagle station wagon. It's styling wasn't exactly up to date, but AMC wanted to continue production because it was a solid foundation. Nobody wanted to drive the ugly thing though, so a remake was called for......voila, XJ. That's not an insult either, those were great cars. Developing that platform into a real offroad machine and at the same time grabbing a piece of the new compact SUV boom was a great move.

I might be wrong about all of that, but for some reason that's the impression I have always had from various articles and such that I have read.

Back