Rear brakes

laneiac

Anyone have a good write up on replacing the rear brakes on a D35 yj? I had a caliper freeze up on me and it scared the bujeezes out of me, and plus they make a grinding sound all the time when wet. Are they hard to do? I have done front discs numerous times, but never drums.

Drums aren't bad. I have never done a D35, but I did my AMC20 and from what I understand, they are all pretty similar. I didn't find any write ups online, but my Haynes manual was definitely adequate to get me through. If you can do the front, you can do the back. They are different, but I wouldn't say any harder. Good luck!

RE: altitude problems

Go buy all the parts, then take both wheels and drums off. When your working on one side, use the opposite side for a referance to put it back together. I found that C clamps really help out when you need to hold the shoes in place as your putting the springs back on. Oh and vise grips to stretch those darn things. I did my D44 many times.

RE: 36 Users + 17 Guests Online??

Oh, by the hardware kit too. New springs and adjuster, etc. It costs about 5 bucks per side, but I figured it was worth it while I was putting the time in. I didn't end up having a choice though... My steel cables were rusted all the way through.

one great tip i got years ago... ALWAYS do one side at a time - they are usually symetrical and you can use one side as a reference if you get lost somewhere in the process... also they make a tool that looks like a caliper to help with the springs and has an "accessory" (for lack of better words) on one handle to help w/the clips and such - makes life easier!

Back