Rough Country X-Series Suspension

Jeeper99

I have a 99 TJ sport that is basically stock minus the updated 31X10.50 tires. I am in the planning stages for a 4" lift. Have any of you guys or gals ever used the Rough Country 4" X-Series suspension kit?

I've read alot of info and I like what I see especially with the quick disconnect sway bar links as well as it's in my price range for the updated lift. I pondered on a 6" lift, but after that and buying the slip yoke eliminator etc.... that will be way over my budget at this time.

I appreciate any and all info and tips. Take Care!

Jeeper99
OIIIO

Never heard a good word about Rough Country. The price is right but that's about it.

Never heard a good word about Rough Country. The price is right but that's about it.

Well your about to hear one. I use a 6 inch system, granted for a YJ but still Rough Country. Anyways the product is quality installs without a hitch and there customer service and shipping is second to none and very friendly people. Ride is fine as well, No worse than factory.

Thanks for the replies. Dragin, for your yj, other than the 6" suspension lift, did you have to change anything else in the driveline due to vibrations? I'm not familiar with the yj's as much, so that's why I was wondering. I know for mine to have a proper 6" lift, I would have to get the CV Axle along with the slip yoke eliminator.

Jeeper99

Yes I did have to put in the sye and drive shaft, but it also seemed like a no brainer to me to prevent any vibrations or problems because I also swaped in a Ford 8.8 rear at the same time. Hope that helps

With a 4 and or a 6 inch lift you will also have to get extended brake lines, Shocks and a drop pitman arm for your steering along with a SYE kit and the longer CV drive line. The 4 inch lift puts you right at the recommended point for the SYE, some here say you can get away with a transfer-case drop kit for a temp fix till you can afford to buy a SYE kit and new drive lines.

I tried the TC drop, and it did nothing to my bad vibes... Granted, mine is a YJ, but I still had to fork up the $$$ to get the CV shaft and SYE. I am now one happy customer!

By the way, they one thing I keep hearing about Rough COuntry is that they really live up to the "Rough" part of their name; ussually people that have them say the ride is very tough... I have RE, though, and have not ridden one, so dont take my word for it (and its not like RE is a smooth ride, cause in the case of leaf strings, the more lift, the more arch, and the rougher the ride!).

Well your about to hear one. I use a 6 inch system, granted for a YJ but still Rough Country. Anyways the product is quality installs without a hitch and there customer service and shipping is second to none and very friendly people. Ride is fine as well, No worse than factory.

Wait a year from now when those springs are flat as a board. I have several members who have taken off thier Rough Country lifts after less than a year because they flattened out soo bad.

They always end up keeping the Rough Country shocks & components but swap out the springs for BDS or other top notch Springs .... you get what you pay for. Especially with lift kits.

Here's my review of Rough Country......

IMG_1756-1.jpg

any questions?

:D

I've seen many Rough Country kits work very well offroad, great kit for the price IMO.

A SYE kit can be had for around $180, and you can shorten a TJ or XJ front driveshaft for use in the rear with the SYE. Good setup on the cheap.

In all honesty it's more for the mall crawlers, trailer queens or the guy who wheels a few times a year. The springs are garbage and can't take punishment like BDS. The other Rough Country components aren't too bad. It's the springs that are junk.

But nobody can argue with the price. They are by far the cheapest on the market. And that's exactly what your gettin.

I haven't seen many of their leaf spring kits, but have seen the coil spring kits perform fine offroad, and no sagging after several years of abuse.

How many sets are you basing your experience on? Leaves or coils?

I haven't seen many of their leaf spring kits, but have seen the coil spring kits perform fine offroad, and no sagging after several years of abuse.

How many sets are you basing your experience on? Leaves or coils?

I've been wheeling for 20 years and I can't even tell you how many guys i've met who have bought and regreted getting Rough Country. More so YJ Springs. I know at least 5 guys in my club including myself who had issues with Rough Country in the past. Beat the hell out of those springs like we do ..... you'll see what I mean.

As far as price range, what would be the next step up from the 4" Rough Country?

I've had Skyjacker under my Jeep for over 2 years now with no sag or problems. It was one of the cheaper liftkits at the time. It's been beaten on by rocks, mud, woods, water, etc., and still going strong. Here's a good place to start.
www.ok4wd.com

Best of luck.

Last edited:

You may want to look at a Full Traction 3 inch economy lift, very good reviews and comes with a adjustable front track bar.

Back