Rpm + speedometer guages goes out occasionally

slavic98tj

My RPM, Speedometer and Odometer gauges all go out after i hit a bump.

Everything stays out until i hit another bump, than everything jumps back to operation.

Would anyone have gone through the same experience as me? If so please enlighten me on some advise about my problem. =]

I own a 1998 jeep wrangler, 4.0L, inline6, 5 speed manual (sport).
I don't have cruise controll.

This is making me mad mainly becuase my odometer goes out... and i want to check my gas milage accurately. The reason why i want to check out my milage is because i just replaced a totaly cracked manifold and put in Bocsh's new Platinum Iridium fusion spackplugs and i pluged a hole in my muffler.

I feel i have more power and better mileage, i just not been able to accurately do my calculations.

Sounds electrical to me, like a bad connection. You may just have to take the instrument cluster out and clean / check the connections.

Pretty common, a rap on top of the dash with a closed fist should get them back on also.

To fix, remove the gauge cluster and unhook the bus connector from the jeep's wiring harness. Bend the pins inside this connector slightly for better contact and reinstall with dialectic grease. I would ziptie the connector together as well.

This worked for me.

I got really tired of playing "Whack-a-Mole" going down bumpy roads to get the intrument cluster to function. I gently twisted the blades about 10-15 degrees and re-installed the cluster. Wooohoo!! No more fists of fury! :lol:

Back