Shackle lift

Jeepster05

I found a 2 inch shackle lift and I think I might get it but I have a few questions for all of you before I go and do it. If I put them on will they shorten the life of my leaf springs? If I already have a 2 inch susp lift and I put on the shackles will I need to do any steering work??? I've never really liked the look of long shackles but I need some more clearance and I'm strapped for cash.[addsig]

2" of lift = 4" of additional shackle length. Question 1 I would guess that the springs would be under more stress with the add spread from the shackles. Key word guess there. Question 2 maybe a lowered pitman arm not sure there either. As for the looks it will be better than a body lift. Good luck and i hope this helps some. Tug[addsig]

Ya, it's a toss-up in the looks dept. when comparing a shackle lift and body lift. I think any shackle lift looks bad, as it greatly decreases approach and departure angles. A 1" body lift is barely noticable, and 2" isn't too bad. I wouldn't go over 2", for looks and safety.

The 2" shackle lift will probably create driveline vibes, as well as decrease caster which will greatly increase wander.

I'd do a 1" BL and maybe trim the fender flares if possible. I have a 1" BL, 1.5" AAL, and TJ flares. Gives mucho tire clearance while helping keep the center of gravity lower.[addsig]

I have a shackle lift with stock springs, and yes, it will cause your springs to wear quicker. If you don't have any lift and you want a cheap solution, do the Body lift. But truthfully, you need to wait until you can get a full suspension lift system. If you have a YJ, there is a complete system called Hell Creek Suspsensions which I hear is great and they have a 4inch kit for $389 :-O That's the route you should really go for. If I was smart, I would've waited. Instead, I've wasted enough money on shackles and replacement stock springs to get that package.

edited by: hi_c, Feb 25, 2003 - 07:28 AM[addsig]

They waste your money and time :lol:

Seriously, not worth the effort and expense. They are tough to do correctly, requires cutting and sleeving the frame for the upper shackle mount. They unload the contact pressure from the front tires when an obstacle is encountered, resulting in a loss of traction.[addsig]

Ok I'll rule that out then. But I think I might do a 1 inch shackle lift for the heck of it.[addsig]

On my 89 YJ I did a one inch shackle lift just because the rust was attacking a little to fierce and I needed to replace them anyways. The jeep had 148,000 miles and the suspension felt fine for the 2 years or so after I did the shackle lift until I upgraded to the TJ. While I dont doubt it the other posts saying that it wears out your leafs quicker I didnt notice any change in 2 years. just my $0.02[addsig]

Back