Shackles Pro's and Con's

Tug-n-pull

Want to do some lift on my YJ 87 about 2" for now. However I have been pumping so much money into other jeep projects I need a cheap and easy start. Is the use of lift shackles good or not so good. Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to sahre with a newbie. [addsig]

When I bought my CJ it had 2" lift shackles on it (4" longer than stock). It didn't ride very well and the steering could be downright scary because of the way the lift pulled the one tie-rod up. When I put on stock size shackles I was amazed at how it solved the steering issues.

I'm not trying to scare you away from adding a shackle lift, in fact, adding 1" or less of shackle lift might work very well... but in my case, 2" lift shackles had some adverse effects.

Good Luck,

Jim

85 CJ[addsig]

I've got a yj as well, and a wife, and an empty wallet. I put the 1.25" shackle lift on my 89 yj for $150, all the way around. I don't have a problem with steering, but i don't like the way my shackles stick out in front. the bottom of the shackle sticks out about an inch farther than the top of the shackle. If hind sight was as good as foresight I would have saved and purchased a good $500 2" suspension lift in the first place...before I was married. Now I'm wishing for a 2.5" Rubicon express lift for Christmas. Don't get the shackles. Save up and get the susp.lift. You thank yourself later. I promise.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks for the info! I am glad to see this board works. I will not go for the shackles and soon maybe by spring you will see the effects of this post. I will be asking about what is the best lift for the money. Again Thanks Tug'n'pull[addsig]

i'll pre-emp your question for next spring. I like the Rubicon Express 2.5". It seems to be the most complete kit with shocks, brake line extensions, transfer case drop, degree shims for rear axle, u-bolts, all new bushings and sway-bar disconnects... all for $500. Go to their website and check it out www.rubiconexpress.com.

hi_c
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have to agree w/ the others ..shackles seem to cause more problems w/ handling ...then the clearance is worth ..[addsig]

Back