signal wiring

flyboy

I took the drivetrain and wiring from an 89 cherokee laredo and put it in my yj.

I need to know what that multi function switch looks like and where it is ( the thing that makes the signals and the brake light work on different circuits. my jeep does not have the orange signal lamps on the back.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i would just use the YJ wiring... the lights in the back are totally different. (ex, Cherokee has amber turn signals, YJ's just have the parking lights blink)... but if you need to use the XJ's wiring, just get a voltmeter and guess and check. then you can either fabricate your own wiring plug or bypass the plug and solder the stuff together. (i'd try to use a plug)[addsig]

Are you talking about the switch on the YJ or XJ? The Cherokees have a Double pole switch on the brake pedal that controls the brake lights and sends a brakeing signal to the cruise control. The multi-function switch in the XJ steering column only controls the turn signals and hazard lights, while the parking lights are involved in the Multifunction Headlamp/parking/instrument Lamp switch. Hope this helps.[addsig]

i need to use the cherokee harness because it has the wiring for the fuel injection that my yj did not have I need to splice it, but how do i get the signals to work through the brake lights instead of the amber lights???
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Take a close look at the connector at the bottom of your steering column and then the steering column on the cherokee. Might be a plumbers nightmare. I seem to remember Jeep using Chevy steering columns on many aplications. When we put a MPI 4 liter in a 89 YJ we left both harnesses in the vehicle and ended up using a combination of harnesses. Made things a little messy and cramped but worked. The gauges where the only real headache we had. Had alot of left over wires that didn´t do anything, just tapped up the ends rolled up the rest and cable tied them out of the way. I once did the opposite of what you are talking about, I changed a combination brake/signal to a seperate brake light and turn signal light. Was really a mind bender, due to local laws I also had to segregate the warning flashers (had to be yellow) from the brake circuit, really made things interesting. Good luck.[addsig]

Back