Skyjacker Lift Problems

sunilla_blue

So I bought this Skyjacker Sport lift kit, for my 2000 Jeep wrangler sahara.
I had it professionally installed. It seemed to drive well... Then I noticed that my 4x4 shifter was engaged into nuetral. I tried to place it into 2wd and the handle would not go down and i could not get to 4H either. The only thing that the shifter would do is go to 4L.
The jeep still drives, but the 4x4 is not working and is stuck in nuetral.

This past year i put in a NV3550, instead of the P something transmission-I dont know if that has something to do with it.?

So, I parked my jeep, it has about 30miles on, with the kit. My jeep has been working just fine, before this install. I really dont know where to go from here. .
I just want to get some ideas, before I return this to my installer.

-Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

This is my kit.

Did you have them install an SYE or just the transfer case drop that comes with the kit? I had used a skyjacker kit on my old TJ awhile back and they gave me a transfercase correction bracket that adjust the linkages so it does not bind and levels it out due to the drop backet. Check if that is installed. If the case is in neutral I don't see how you are driving at all.

I'm guessing the bracket is not installed so the whole thing is just reading wrong because of the transfercase drop. You are in 2H even though its reading N. Can you click the transfercase shifter into the 4 different positions even though it doesn't line up with the correct location on the console?

Skyjacker Suspension JSRB231A - Skyjacker Transfer Case Shifter Correction Bracket for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with Automatic Transmission - Quadratec thats the part.

I don't see how the shop let this out the door not working properly. I'd tell just bring it back there and say this doesn't work like it did when It came in. They might say due to this it won't work but they should have let you know when you picked it up or called to have the extra parts installed.

I had used the transfer case drop, that came with the kit. The only gear it go's to is reading N and 4L. You are probably right that I am actually in 2WD.

I bet the problem is the angle of the transfer case with the stock bracket. The shifter bracket mounts to the body then to the transfer case. Dropping the case an inch pulls it away from the body so it screws up the linkages. The bracket should fix it. Or Novak Conversions makes a nice shifter to get rid of the body mount. I have it on my YJ and works really nice and smooth.

The problem is not the lift kit, the problem is the "professional installation" you need to adjust the t-case shifter linkage.

Since you paid for the labor to have it installed, bring it back to the mechanic and have him fix it and properly install the product.

Yea i had to return my yj back to the shop after the 'professional installaion' body lift cause it would not go into reverse. Only thing on my jeep i did not do myself. I wish i did now and would have 350 more bucks in my pocket . You Would think they would check these things! !!!!

These are the instructions for that kit:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=TJ401BPH.pdf&line=SKY
Look at setup 14 - it instructs you to install a drop bracket to fix the problem you're having. I wonder if the installer used that bracket or not.

I wouldn't give that shop any more money - since your shifter was in neutral that tells me that they noticed the problem and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Assuming the bracket has been installed, you may just need to adjust it. There should be an adjustment bolt on the linkage - loosen that bolt, then manually put it in 4 low (you just push the rod all the way towards the front of the Jeep. Climb in your Jeep (with engine off) and put the shifter in 4 low (pull all the way back). Now, crawl back under your Jeep and tighten the adjustment bolt.

(this is on my 2005 auto, but I believe yours is similar).

shifter-linkage.jpg

adjustment-bolt.jpg

Last edited:
Well... I have to say, that I dont think it was a problem with Skyjacker. I actually pretty happy with my kit. I did manage to place a call to Skyjacker and they are sending me a additional part to correct the problem. It is the part, that was suggested on this forum:shades:.

As for my installer, he is in bubbling water.

-thanks you all.

Back