Some advice please, buying my Jeep

warden37

I've wanted a Wrangler as far back as I can remember. at the age of 37, having only recently recovered from a long-term medical injury that had robbed me of my license, a miracle in itself, I've decided to reward myself.
I've been searching for a good deal for a few months and recently came across 2 Jeeps that I'm considering. Understand that I'm new to Jeep community, and A it stands right now I'm open to any number of Jeep-ideal activities in the years to come, whether it be just simple roofless,, open-air long term excursions with my dogs or Off-Roading!
2003 Wrangler Sport with 95K in terrific condition inside and out, and a 2004 Rubicon with 190K, also in terrific condition.
Both trucks have all their papers, detailed owner histories with no surprises that I can find. The Sport model also has an unlimited kilometer warranty for 1 year thrown in with the dealer. Neither have been off-roaded.
Obviously I'm leaning towards the Rubicon because of all the upgrades, and the fact it's only 1K more makes it very attractive, but the high kilometers have given me pause.
I've been told by many that the engines on Wranglers are so reliable that they remain virtually indestructible up to 250K and beyond if maintained properly, and I know that the Rubicon's high KM are all highway kilometers.
Please give me your opinion and advise, which one of these trucks would be my ideal first Jeep, I'm really looking forward to it.
Thanks
Dave in Toronto

Dave-

Out of the box the Rubicon comes with Dana 44, 4:10 gears, air lockers, and a 4 to 1 transfer case. You could spend $3,000 to $5,000 making those upgrades to your jeep if you have to buy all the parts individually and install them.

Yes, the I6 - 4.0 is a wonderful engine and can give you 250K miles (not kilometers) before having to be rebuilt if properly maintained but having said that I have purchased Wranglers with under a 100K miles on the clock and the motor was shot from a lack of care too. What the 4.0 does when it starts to go is puke oil out of the PVC value into the air intake system or from other orifices; blow by from ring failure creates extra pressure in the crank case as pushes the oil out. It is possible to drive a 4.0 for some time in this condition but it does make a nasty mess out of the driveway as well as the underside of the jeep.

If it was me, and this is only my opinion, I would lean towards the Rubi; that is because I want the Dana 44s and lockers and do a lot of my own repairs. The 4 to 1 low in the transfer case is nice but I’m not a rock crawler as where I live it is more sand dunes and mud so the lower transfer case ratio is not necessarily the best for those conditions. In my area to rebuild the 4.0 we a talking about $1,500 US +/- and the other boxes if professionally done are probably about $1,000 US +/- each. If you plan on keeping this jeep for a long period of time you will get your use out of any repair/upgrade you do, however if you plan to flip it in a couple of years go for the lower mileage rig as you will have something left to sell when you do.

Last edited:
I would pick the Rubi if you dont want to dump money into upgrades.If you plan on making it as tough as possible and plan on upgrading things I would get the non rubi.

I would also go for the rubi because of the same things already stated. And Saddle Tramp is right; those I6 (and I4!) are VERY reliable engines, and not up to 250KM, but 250MI (IF, and that is a big IF, taken care of properly).

Back