squeek squeek squeek

Cabin_Guy

I'm having no luck trying to locate a noise.
Every time I turn left or right I get this high pitched ( almost like a bird chirpping) squeek squeek squeek coming from my front left wheel. The wheel is on tight and the only things i can think it might be are the u-joint or the wheel bearing. Only happens when i turn. Running it in 4wd for a bit and then going back to 2wd helped a bit for a little while but now it's back.
It's a 2005, with only about 45000 miles on it,driven mostly on dirt roads and highway, nothing extream. seems kinda young to have u-joint or wheel bearing issues... I dunno.....
thanks for any suggestions you can give.

In rare occasions, i've seen small pebbles stuck between the dust shield and rotor and only makes the noise when you turn, that's a possibility. I would look at the axle shaft u-joint a little more closer since it only does it during a turn. A wheel bearing usually will make a humming or a drone noise when you turn in one direction.

Could be the CV joint of the front driveshaft. Consider removing the front driveshaft to see if the noise goes away.

If it is the front driveshaft, you want to have it rebuilt or it will fail and take the transfer case out with it.

thanks guys, i was leaning toward u-joint but wasn't sure, I'll look a little closer at that.
I've read that the greasable ones are considered weaker because they are drilled for the grease passage, but I would think they are ok for general driving, dirt road, no-extream kinda stuff, right? I really dislike things that move that can't be greased and would like to replace mine ( if necessary) with the greasable ones.

Back