Steering is sloppy!

poooorboy

Hello! Ive got a good ? for someone anyone! My steering feels like i always have to over compensate while driving ! What could this be? any help would be great! Thanks In adance! Steve./1990 xj 4.0 :-D :-? :-? [addsig]

I'm not sure about the xj, but I just cured the exact same symptoms in my Jaguar by replacing the steering rack bushings with urethane. You need to get under the front end and let someone turn the steering back and forth so you can watch it move. You'll see where the slop is. Now, when I turn the wheel, thats where the car goes.[addsig]

yeah, i replaced my sway bar bushings, and that helped mine out a good bit too. your best bet is gonna be to check it out and replace/adjust whatever needs work on.

-nate[addsig]

Check:
  • Tie-rod ends
  • Sway-bar endlinks
  • Control arm bushings
  • Track bar bushings
  • Alignment, could be caster
:-D [addsig]

Thanks brothers I will check these syptoms out! Thanks as always! :-D :) Dingus youre picture is cool! :lol:

edited by: poooorboy, Mar 13, 2003 - 08:23 PM[addsig]

poorboy, how many miles on your rig since she was aligned, or had any front end work done? do you have the same sized tires on the front? don't laugh, i've actually seen tire stores sell the wrong tire and if you didn't check, you'd never know. . . [addsig]

Hello bluebelle ! My xj has 167.000 miles and the only front end work thats been done to it was the brakes / u-joints / sway bar /Once the weather gets better i am going to check it all out . Hate to say it but i am sick of the snow!! ugh! :-D Thanks for your reply! :) [addsig]

Mine had that "vague" feeling too...it was the steering box. The output shaft bearings were loose...found a low milage used one in a salvage yard...Wooo Hooo!!! something cheap!!! :-D

Dawg

Git Muddy!!!!! :evil: [addsig]

Hello muddawg ! So was thst a big job to replace? and what was youre cost? thanks for the reply! STEVE.[addsig]

is your steering stabilizer loose? is the steering box where it attaches loose? are your bearings in need of repacking?[addsig]

Hello there! I shall check these probs out as soon as i can jack my xj up to muddy! But i will check those items u guys suggested~1! Thanks as aways Steve :-D [addsig]

Back