Strange noise when turning

Mike1

RE: sick people in the world

Hi

I own a 98 Cherokee 4.0L Auto

After being stopped at a traffic light or stop street and turning left or right a get a wining noise from the rear( sounds like the diff area). This doesnt happen when driving straight only when turning from a stationary position. I cant feel any abnormal resistance, she still drives fine.

It also only happens when the vehicle is at normal operating temperature. It doesnt happen when cold.

Could the rear bearings be going?

Thanks Mike

RE: sick people in the world

I'd start by putting the rear axle on stands and getting under there and turning things to see where the sound is coming from. It could be the diff, wheel bearings, almost anything.

Noises can be elusive, sometimes coming from the opposite end of the jeep that where you think you here it from the driver's seat. How did you narrow it down to the 'diff area'?

Its not scientific. But with the radio off and no noise doing slow sharp turns from stationary it seems to be the rear of the vehicle. I recently serviced her and all the fluid levels are OK with the correct oils.

Mike

Bounty__Hunter said:
Noises can be elusive, sometimes coming from the opposite end of the jeep that where you think you here it from the driver's seat. How did you narrow it down to the 'diff area'?
yeah i'd second what bounty says, and then recommed what grae said. i had a noise from the front end of my jeep, sounded like it was coming from the drivers side, but once it was up on the lift, found out it was the driveshaft, which is obviously in the middle, soo.....just get under it and look at it, cause it really is tough to tell where exactly the sound comes from while inside.

Cool

But how do you suggest I do this, as the problem only occures when hot and turning from stationary. I dont really want to be under the car when its moving?

Mike

RE: Cell phone users

get the wheels off the ground and get under there and turn things by hand and see if you can spot anything that feels off. more than likely you will feel a grinding or hear a squeak at low speed and no load. take the wheels off and listen to the bearings as you turn the hub slow or fast. pull in & out on the hub as you do it and see if it makes a difference. check for signs of rubbing anywhere - if the tire rubs, it could indicate bearing and/or slop in the diff. have a friend help. find a parkig lot and try to get the sound to happen as they walk along either side. They might be able to locate the general area better. Does it do it if you do a slow circle, or does it stop after a few feet? try lightly applying the brakes and see if it makes the sound change. does it still do it if you put it in 4hi? Pull the brakes and look for uneven wear, grinding, low pads, hard (high) spots on rotors and drums. Are you sure the sound is not the front tires rubbing the control arm? This should get you started at least....

Back