SYE kit necessary for 4 inch lift?

jtm703

I'd like to upgrade from a 2" lift to 4". The Skyjacker kit comes with track bar brackets, drop pitman arm, new control arms, and transfer case lowering kit.

Will it also be necessary (or just preferrable) to install an SYE kit? If I went to 6", I definitely know that this and other mods would be needed...just not sure with regards to a 4 inch lift.

Thanks guys.

With a TC lowering kit I wouldn't think a SYE would be needed. If you want to try and keep the belly up a little higher and not use the lowering kit then yes, a SYE would be a very good idea.

Bacon

The SYE is not required with that kit, but is recommended if you want more underbelly clearance. If you install a SYE, you leave the TC drop off the jeep and keep the crossmember in the stock location.

If you decide to go with a SYE, you will also need a new CV rear driveshaft and upper adjustable control arms for the rear. It gets pricey quick.

What I'm gonna do is attach a limiting strap to the crossmember & the top of my rear axle to keep it from dropping too much & not worry about the TC drop... I'm not throwing the drop away but I don't anticipate any problems... I may be wrong (I usally am:) )

Anyone have opinions of Skyjacker 4" kit vs. the Rough Country 4 " kit? They seem to have the same parts. Running a Skyjacker 2" kit now, and the shocks stiffened up the ride...which doesn't bother me, but my wife hates it.

The Rough Country kit is on sale for a bit less money, and their steering dampener is less, too. But, If I'm going to shell out $500 or more, I want the best I can get, even if one is 10% less.

I'm also comparing the two kits. the RC is 50 less than the SkyJacker. But the SkyJacker comes with a bumpstop spacers and a drop down pitman arm.

Does anyone know if the Pitman arm is necessary? I've installed RC kits before, once on a TJ and once on a F250. They installed easily, but I think that's the case with most bolt on lift kits. I didn't like having to drill a hole in the track bar bracket so I'll definately get the adjustable track bar either way.

Anyone have opinions of Skyjacker 4" kit vs. the Rough Country 4 " kit? They seem to have the same parts. Running a Skyjacker 2" kit now, and the shocks stiffened up the ride...which doesn't bother me, but my wife hates it.

The Rough Country kit is on sale for a bit less money, and their steering dampener is less, too. But, If I'm going to shell out $500 or more, I want the best I can get, even if one is 10% less.

I have the 4" Skyjacker springs/shocks on my TJ (rest of my lift is Rough Country for the most part though - couple of JKS items, but I digress...). I've been happy with it so far. Done blacks and blue-blacks at Rausch Creek and the suspension has soaked it up with ease.

I've install the RC 4'' kit when my jeep was 2 months old back in Dec of 2006. I didn't install their drop pitman arm nor the TC drop kit, but my jeep is a LJ.
I still have the jeep, still have that lift on with no problems.

Back