SYE which one to use?

Sid1966

I have 97tj 4.0 3 speed auto,231 case.I am going to do a tummy tuck and was wondering what kit to use.I did some surfin on the net and was thinking of a JB Conversions super short kit.Any body use this?How is the quality?I dont mind spending money just dont want to do the same thing twice.Any opinions or input would be a big help.Thanks.

I was dropping drive shafts left and right on a YJ I used to own. Put a new driveshaft and a SYE kit and WOW,:shock: WELL WORTH TH MONEY!!!

I did the cheap way with a hack and tap. Been running it for 3 years and so far so good. Money was an issue for me.

I would highly recommend the super short SYE for you as you have one of the longest drivelines (shortest rear driveshaft) that is available in Wranglers. The most affordable super short SYE out there is from http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...=1133&osCsid=fbf1708049ad8779e6385ae52ac3282a at $280. It's what I have in mine.

Don't forget to get a speedometer calibration setup as the super short SYE does not use a speedo gear but an inductive pickup like a crank sensor. I use one I got got from Dakota Digital for around $80.

Don't bother with a hack and tap, the XJ guys can get away with them due to already having a long rear driveshaft. I ran one for a while but it just wasn't short enough, and no strength gain over a stock transfer case mainshaft.

The kit I've been looking at also comes with a new driveshaft. It's put out by Rugged Ridge. I've heard some good stuff and its priced decently. I don't know if anyone here has any experiences otherwise with this one in particular.. I still haven't bought it, I'm in the process of upgrading gears, axles and lockers so its all still a work in progress.

JB Conversions, Inc.Thanks for input. was wondering if any one is familiar with this company.It looks like this kit might have some improvements over others.This is the only one I found that gave such a big description.

It's a good kit. I've installed many a SYE and they all do the job. Don't know how necessary all the upgrades are with the JB kit but what they heck.

I would highly recommend the super short SYE for you as you have one of the longest drivelines (shortest rear driveshaft) that is available in Wranglers. The most affordable super short SYE out there is from PORC at $280. It's what I have in mine.

Don't forget to get a speedometer calibration setup as the super short SYE does not use a speedo gear but an inductive pickup like a crank sensor. I use one I got got from Dakota Digital for around $80.

Don't bother with a hack and tap, the XJ guys can get away with them due to already having a long rear driveshaft. I ran one for a while but it just wasn't short enough, and no strength gain over a stock transfer case mainshaft.

I run the standard SYE from PORC and I am very happy with it... No issues in 3+ years.

I bought a Rugged Ridge SYE about 3 years ago and had my driveshaft made at a local fleet shop. All works great with no problems, other than driver with heavy foot and a locker, poor rear u-joint.... Compared Rugged Ridge and Advanced Adapters side by side and there is no difference. Very easy to install and well worth the time and price.

Re: SYE which one to use? ANY OF THEM

You have probably noticed a common thread here. All these SYE kits are great. There's really not a lot to go wrong with them. Actually they stengthen the transfer case by shortening the output shaft, the shorter the shaft the less braking points. However, I would caution you on the SYE/Driveline combo. Driveline lengths change depending on the vehicle lift. If it were me, I'd install the SYE kit. Get the Jeep static(all four tires on the ground)and measure yoke to yoke(or yoke to flange depending on which kit you get). Then, I'd go get or have the CV driveline made. Hope you found this helpful or informative.

Re: SYE which one to use? ANY OF THEM

You have probably noticed a common thread here. All these SYE kits are great. There's really not a lot to go wrong with them. Actually they stengthen the transfer case by shortening the output shaft, the shorter the shaft the less braking points.
Actually they strengthen the transfer case by using a much thicker (stronger) mainshaft.

Back