TFI Upgrade Suggestion

84_CJ7

Made the switch this weekend and noticed a much improved idle but would be lying if I said I noticed any performance difference. Hoping for better mileage and a few more tweaks in the timing may get me both.
My suggestion for this upgrade is simple but ended up being the most time consuming part of the upgrade. Find or make a bracket for the TFI coil before you begin. I had the plugs cleaned, regapped, the wires changed and the new cap and adapter on in about 30 minutes. Made an adapter for connecting the coil to the existing coil connector in just a few minutes. But when it came to attaching the TFI coil I was at a standstill. Went to the junkyard and pulled an old coil WITH the bracket and the pigtail connector. Put the bracket on my new coil and found the flattest mounting spot to be near the (useles) jack. Used the pigtail to make a new connector, fired it up an reset the timing.
If I would have had a bracket for the coil and an idea of where to put it I would have been finished in about 45 minutes and driving within an hour.
Just thought this may be useful to someone about to make the switch. Nothing worse than ALMOST being finished and having to make another trip to the parts store!

Scott[addsig]

Back