That didn't take long

I accept the not totally liberal thing. That's pretty true. I'm somewhere in the middle. I would definitely like the government to take care of it's people that can't take care of themselves. On the other hand I think that they should cut people off that CAN take of themselves and don't. I also don't really care who's in the president's chair. As long as they do a good job. I just tend to lean left on social issues because I do believe that we should be taking care of everybody. Not necessarily supporting them, just taking care of each other.

Remember, left or right, it's all based on where people sat at a big table back in the day in France.
But yeah. Not totally liberal, not totally conservative. Honest to goodness middle of the road.

I accept the not totally liberal thing. That's pretty true. I'm somewhere in the middle. I would definitely like the government to take care of it's people that can't take care of themselves. On the other hand I think that they should cut people off that CAN take of themselves and don't. I also don't really care who's in the president's chair. As long as they do a good job. I just tend to lean left on social issues because I do believe that we should be taking care of everybody. Not necessarily supporting them, just taking care of each other.

Remember, left or right, it's all based on where people sat at a big table back in the day in France.
But yeah. Not totally liberal, not totally conservative. Honest to goodness middle of the road.

I agree with Mingez, most of us are in the middle. As for taking care of the needy, not only do I support it, but I believe it to be our responsibility. It's the lazy or the opportunistic ones I'd like to cut off from my tax dollars.

As for left/right... it seems over the past 8 years the republicans have moved much closer to center while the Democrats move further left. Does anyone know of a dedicated right wing conservative currently showing serious interest in the '08 presidential race?

I didn't think so.

As for the topic of this thread, in the '08 race we have gun grabbers and a couple so-called republicans who have voted against the 2nd amendment repeatedly.

It doesn't look good for gun legislation.

On a lighter note, Washington D.C., where there has been an all-out gun ban for years now, has just lost a US circuit court case on their gun ban. It was ruled unconctitutional and the court struck down the DC gov't.'s claim that the right to bear arms was meant for a militia not individuals. The court clearly stated it did apply to individuals. It will most likely go to the supreme court now.

This will be great news for gun advocates if the supreme court upholds this ruling. It will not be good at all if for some unlikely reason they overturn it.

Keeps your eyes on it ;)

Right!
Guliani is anti-gun for sure. He's no friend of mine.:x

Well, our guv, Kathleen Sebelius is anti-gun and vetoed the concealed carry law, but our elected state officials over-rode her veto and we got it anyway. After all of that, I still voted for her in the last election. Why? For one, she's ranked in the top 5 governors in the US. She's cut billions of dollars in waste from the state budget (yes, billions). There really are way too many good points about her to vote against her for her stance on guns. The important thing is to keep the folks in the statehouse that voted to over-ride her veto. So long as we have them, she's pretty much harmless on that point.

Well, our guv, Kathleen Sebelius is anti-gun and vetoed the concealed carry law, but our elected state officials over-rode her veto and we got it anyway. After all of that, I still voted for her in the last election. Why? For one, she's ranked in the top 5 governors in the US. She's cut billions of dollars in waste from the state budget (yes, billions). There really are way too many good points about her to vote against her for her stance on guns. The important thing is to keep the folks in the statehouse that voted to over-ride her veto. So long as we have them, she's pretty much harmless on that point.

You know a lot of state governments have govs like the one you have.
Social moderates, fiscal conservatives.
If someone ever really had a chance to show her the real numbers on gun violence, she might change some of her opinions.

so do heart attacks, but nobody has proposed a ban on french fries.

Most of the time I pretty much consider myself my own worst enemy, so maybe the government should just ban me from me- I think I'd be a lot safer if I weren't around me so much.

Back