Thinking about buying '03 X........insights please!!!

ZBTstang

I currently have a 98 TJ Se......87K on the 4 cycl already though. Have had wayyyyy to many problems with it already. Im sure it wont last me more than 2 more years and I just got it in october of '02.
So I went shopping today. I found an '03 X Freedom edition, brand new. I like the 6 cycl engine. I like how it has a hard top ( I currently have the soft top). Its got the tow hooks, and the fog lights already. The biggest part of this though is that its new. My current TJ like I said wont last me to much longer.
Has anyone had any problems with the X, or the engine for that matter? I like the freedom edition cause it seems to come with a few more odds and ends than does the regular X.
Any and all insights will be MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![addsig]

I have been thinking about the new X freedom addition my self. How much were they asking when you went to look at it
[addsig]

are you in denial? jeeps don't just die! do some preventative (routine) maintenence on your current one and it'll last you forever...[addsig]

Those 4.0 will go forever (almost)

My friend put 230K on a 90 YJ then rebuilt it

Johnny[addsig]

Those 4.0 will go forever (almost)

My friend put 230K on a 90 YJ then rebuilt it

Johnny

he has a 2.5L 4 cylinder, not the 4.0L 6 cylinder... same idea tho, both last forever.[addsig]

Well, don't think about it in terms of the package, "X Freedom Edition". Think of it in terms of the motor. That motor is the same 4.0L they put in the Sahara, or Sport Package for that year. Then look at your options. Does it also come with a soft top, or hard top only? The drive train is probably AX15, NP231, D35/D30, all behind the 4.0. Ask around about the 2002 4.0L setup. That's what should concern you. And what's the $ ?[addsig]

Well first off.....I cant do any prevenative work on the SE....its really a lemon, and I dont toss that word around easy. I could go on for a while about all the problems ive had with it, and its been ever since I got it from the dealer. Its a long story, not gonna get into it now, but trust me when I say, its not worth it.

The sticker price for the X was 22K. Im sure I can talk them down a little, and the trade in for my SE is bluebooking at about 4K (if im lucky!). It comes with the hard top, no soft top. I managed with a soft top all winter, and id prefer the hard top....cause its either gonna be no top or hard top.

Thanks for all the quick replys. With any luck ill have DSL soon and will once again be posting regularly. [addsig]

I had a 95 yj se and loved every minute of it. I just got the new X freedom (silver) exactly how you described about 2 weeks ago. It is awesome, I can say that it is by far the nicest in terms of overall quality and value, Jeep I've ever been in or had. I say, GO FOR IT!!! You won't be disappointed. Plus, the free a/c with the freedom package is always nice.
Keep the rubber side down!! ;-) :cool: :) [addsig]

I'd consider going with the sport model. I don't think the heavy duty axles are available on the x but I could be wrong. Plus the price you pay for ac you could have the 30 inc tire wheel group[addsig]

AX15 is no longer used in Jeeps.

The X uses the D30 and D35 axles, the D44 rear is not an option. The Freedom Edition is just a cosmetic package, same specs as the regular X. Well spec'd Jeep for the money.[addsig]

Well the fact is the main 2 reasons im considering it is because its the least expensive of the 6 cycl models, and also it comes with many extra's, all the cosmetic stuff, that id end up putting in aftermarket. This makes it a good bargin for the 6 cycl engine without being bare bones like a regular X.

[addsig]

Definatley buy the X. Its is the cheapest 6 cyl they sell, but its still a jeep. I was planning on buying an 03 X at the end of the summer, but with me starting college I just couldnt work it into the budget. O well, guess I'll just have to have fun in the YJ at paragon every weekend.

TARSI[addsig]

The X (particulary the Freedom edition) is a nice bang for your buck Wrangler.

Its biggest limitation is the Dana 35c rear. If you're driving straight off the lot and over to the lift and tires shop that's a big deal. The 35c can be bolstered to decent strength with after market product but can be spendy.

"The Dana 35 has a 7 9/16" ring and pinion and uses one piece axles (2.625" in diameter). Starting in 1990 they switched to an inferior C-clip Dana 35c. The "c" in Dana 35c does not stand for C-clip, it stands for custom. They are custom because they are shipped incomplete from the Dana factory to Chysler and Chrysler completes the build. The two versions have different shafts, bearings, and carrier. There is a C-clip elminator kit available for the Dana 35c. The Dana 35c is probably on the small side for hard four wheeling with larger tires and lockers. If these are your intentions, you might be better off swapping in a Dana 44 or better." (offroad.com Quote)

"The first Dana 35 components to fail are usually the axleshafts. The tiny 1.18-inch 27-spline shafts that are only marginally bigger than the 1.16-inch shafts found in a Dana 30 front axle. In most stock applications, they will live indefinitely; however, adding a locker and larger-than-stock tires or driving abusively can snap them. If you have broken a stock Dana 35 shaft, you will surely do it again...There are two options when upgrading the 35 shafts. Superior Axle & Gear offers its Super 35 kit and Warn has a full-float kit...The (super 35) kit replaces the smallish shafts with 1.31-inch 30-spline pieces that are over 35 percent stronger than stock. These are the same size as the shafts found in many Dana 44s and even some Dana 60s! The kit may seem a little pricey when compared to a floater, but the Super 35 kit includes a custom full-case Detroit Locker to match the 30-spline shafts...It’s been our experience that the Dana 35 flexes quite a bit. While replacing a broken 27-spline shaft in the field with the suspension twisted up, we were barely able to pound the new shaft into place, so we figured the housing was bent. Once we got back to the shop and put the Jeep on a hoist, the shaft would slide in and out easily. We believe that the flexing can cause locker and shaft damage. An axle truss will help combat the housing flex and possibly prolong the life of the Dana 35 assembly in more abusive conditions." (JPM quote)

If you think there is any inkling you'll get the "big tires go anywhere jeep fever", then it'd be cheaper in the long run to get a sport with the dana 44 rear (not all sports have it so check youself)

HTH,
[addsig]

Step up and buy a sport w/ the D44 and trac-loc limited slip. Its worth the money. I looked at the Xs when i thought i was gonna buy new, just too many gadgets and gizmos for extra money that could be spent on mods, I just think you would be happy w/ a D44 if you ever wanna build on it.[addsig]

I'm with TJoffroad I'd rather have a stripped sport with the heavy axles, than a freedom x with all the gadgets, those gadgets are a lot cheaper to add on later. But if the freedom x really does it for you go for it, after all you are the one who's going to be driving it not us. Good luck with the new ride I'm sure you will have fun no matter which model jeep it is.[addsig]

I'll counter the crying wolf over the D35 by saying that probably over 70% of jeepz.com members run a D35 rear axle, the majority of those likely have larger than stock tires :-O Guess what, NO PROBLEMS.

I've been on the trail when jeepers have broken the axle shafts in a D35, and it's not often. There is a large number of D35 axles in our club, and we have access to some pretty tough terrain, and the D35 holds up, with lockers and larger than stock tires. Granted the only two Jeepers we had break shafts both had automatic locking differentials. I run 31" and 32" tires (not at the same time :p ) with locked front and rear stock axles, no problem. And I generally don't take the bypasses.

The D44 in the TJ is not as strong as you have been led to believe. The axle tubes are the same thickness as the D35, so I can't imagine it flexing much less than the D35. It's not the same strength as D44's of days past.

It boils down to this. See what works and what doesn't for others who use their Jeep as you intend to use yours. Go from there. IF it ever breaks, you can always upgrade then.[addsig]

I just bought an X Freedom Edition last week.. got it for $21500... I am lovin life. The 4.0 is solid.. a lot of Jeep for the money. I don't think you are losing anything by getting an X over a stripped Sport. Plus you will get a hard top (try to make them toss in a soft top to seal the deal)... i have been driving around for a week straight.. just pull the trigger![addsig]

I personally am kind of partial to the X :-D but I paid a little more for mine due to negative equity. 23K got me set up though. AC, CD, 7speaker system, 5xAlum 15x7, full size spare. I opted for the 1/2 doors and soft top only though. I got all the perks of a "Freedom" but wasn't limited to the Colors. :-D Really the Only mods you need right off are Quick-disconnects and maybe 31's. but I do pretty dang good without the 31s and just the traction of having the Swaybars off. :evil: [addsig]

It boils down to this. See what works and what doesn't for others who use their Jeep as you intend to use yours. Go from there. IF it ever breaks, you can always upgrade then.
_______________ quote Bounty

Very well put, and truly the START for any research is purpose.

Are we talking Walking on water and wading through mudd, just
to get on top of that Boulder mocking us on the other side.

Or is it going to spend more time in the Driveway and eating
corndogs at SONIC?

Nothing wrong with either one,,, IT's a Jeep, You can park her anywhere.[addsig]

I'll counter the crying wolf over the D35 by saying that probably over 70% of jeepz.com members run a D35 rear axle, the majority of those likely have larger than stock tires Guess what, NO PROBLEMS. I've been on the trail when jeepers have broken the axle shafts in a D35, and it's not often. There is a large number of D35 axles in our club, and we have access to some pretty tough terrain, and the D35 holds up, with lockers and larger than stock tires. Granted the only two Jeepers we had break shafts both had automatic locking differentials. I run 31" and 32" tires (not at the same time ) with locked front and rear stock axles, no problem. And I generally don't take the bypasses.

D35c's will do fine usually with less than 33" tires. Once you go to a large tire (ie 35" or bigger) and a locker you WILL break axles if you wheel hard enough or drive irrationally.

The D44 in the TJ is not as strong as you have been led to believe. The axle tubes are the same thickness as the D35, so I can't imagine it flexing much less than the D35. It's not the same strength as D44's of days past.

Yes the tubes are the same but the flex of the tube can be easily trussed in either housing. It's the axles which are the d35c's achilles heel. The d35c really needs a super 35 kit. The ring & pinion is also smaller in the D35c (7 9/16" vs. 8 1/2" if memory serves) and there are less options gear wise for the d35.

This is neither here nor there if you're just getting a town cruiser or only aspire to play in the dirt & mud, however when rocks come into play this is a more important discussion. If you are going to build a trail rig or think you might... you really really should consider getting a TJ with a D44. I'm sure the debate will continue...but isnt that what makes this place so much fun? :D
:-D :-D :-D

edited by: ºiiiiiº, Jun 13, 2003 - 01:09 AM[addsig]

Back