Ticking coming from motor?

SLiM

Hey Im back with another stupid question, Every once and a while, while Im sitting at a light or first start it, just when I am idling basically. Its not loud, and its not a knock I know a knock I blew the motor in my Eclipse 3 years ago, the jeep is running fine its just that ticking sound, I just want to make sure its not something serious. Any ideas would be great, Thanks in advance everyone!

I would closely inspect the exhaust header, they're prone to cracking near where the tubes meet and make a ticking noise.

Thanks for all the info everyone, I know your gonna think Im stupid what ATF? Automatic Trans Fluid, if so I have a manual. And if it is the header is that something that I should woried about? Thanks in advance every one, I know Im a pain in the ass but I want to know everything about my jeep I love it, so I plan on keeping for a long time, Im getting a street bike next summer once I get that Im gonna start doing the major work to it starting with the rust near back tires two big holes on each side.

#1, you ain't a pain in the behind
#2, forget the bike and buy Jeep parts, you'll be better off.
#3, IF the ticking is an exhaust leak it may burn a valve and you will be tearing your motor apart.
#4, Yes, ATF is automaytic trans fluid.
#5, GOOD LUCK

#1, you ain't a pain in the behind
#2, forget the bike and buy Jeep parts, you'll be better off.
#3, IF the ticking is an exhaust leak it may burn a valve and you will be tearing your motor apart.
#4, Yes, ATF is automaytic trans fluid.
#5, GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the info, I will try it out.

The "ticking" could also be a valve tap (which is distinctly different from a knock), which is nothing to worry about unless it starts getting louder. Is it a regular tap tap or an irregular sound? My GC "ticks"when its cold, and it goes away once warmed up or when i idle up.. It's the valves in my case, but at 142k, I'm not touching it till it gets worse (if it ever does).

The "ticking" could also be a valve tap (which is distinctly different from a knock), which is nothing to worry about unless it starts getting louder. Is it a regular tap tap or an irregular sound? My GC "ticks"when its cold, and it goes away once warmed up or when i idle up.. It's the valves in my case, but at 142k, I'm not touching it till it gets worse (if it ever does).

I noticed that too mine goes away its warmed up, but its a slight tapping not loud at all. I'll just keep my eyes on it. Thanks for all the info everyone!

Most likely it is a noisy lifter. There's stuff that can be added to the oil to try and free the lifter if you are really worried about it. Personally I would not worry unless it gets noticeably louder.

I also have the same ticking in my '99 Sport (just turned 100K). Same faint ticking.
HIHOOD...do you mean adding ATF to the Crankcase....?
Yikes!

Most likely it is a noisy lifter. There's stuff that can be added to the oil to try and free the lifter if you are really worried about it. Personally I would not worry unless it gets noticeably louder.

What can I put in there? ATF??? Or is there something else, it seems to be getting a little louder but not that bad. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

try running some seafoam in your motor, you can get it at almost anyparts store. dump some into a vaccumn line and the rest in your crankcase it will clean you valves piston, intake , ect.. just follow the instructions on the can.. the brake booster vaccumn line works the best to to get it into the engines head.. took the tick out of my '89 xj. now i can just hear my rod knock..

Just curious, I was just going to post this tonight, but since its here i'll add to it. My TJ has a ticking, pinging, etc... sound that can be heard specially at idle or while being reved and can be slightly heard while driving, How can i tell if its valves (can they be adjusted) vs exhaust leak? To me it sounds like an exhaust leak, but im not sure would like to know what i can do to try and nail it down???

One more question I noticed it started when I put the open air filter on it, I jus cut small slits in the intake hose to put the vacume hoses in but I notisec Im spiting some kind of oily stuff out my exsaust

Thanks for the info everyone, and I am almost positive its the lifters because once it is warmed up it goes away completely. If it gets any worse which I hope doesn't happen because I just had to put out 550 bucks because my clutch master cylinder just went on me, and it was due for inspection at by the end of November so I just had them do it, and the only thing wrong was the one rusted out hole behind both rear tires where open into the cab, so they patched them with some sheet metal, plus a couple other little things, but my mechanic told me that it runs like a champ I still have some rust on both rear doors that are opened up into the door, so I have to work on them next before it gets worse I'm gonna post a new one to get some ideas on the best way to do it with out a welder and I don't want to do it with body filler either. Anyway thanks for all the help everyone!

I think a cracked exhaust manifold would exhibit similar characteristics that the "sticky valve" would too. That is you'll hear the tick tick tick (exhaust leak) when it's cold but as it warms up and the metal expands the crack can close up enough where you no longer hear anything. Better be sure.

So if it stops once its warmed up, Its a manifold right? I just had it inspected 2 weeks ago and It was doing it when they inspected it but they didnt say anything about an exuast leak or anything about the ticking, if it was an exsuast leak would it pass inspection like that?

It could also be cylinder wall wear. The piston rings will make a rattling sound until the motor warms up and the piston's expand causing the slack to tighten up a bit. Mine makes a noise too. I'm almost 100% sure it's wear, but heck, I have 166,000 miles on my TJ :D I am going to add a quart of quality ATF to my oil the next change and see if it helps just in case it's in the valve train.

Back