Tool KIt

mikep

Ok thinking about a tool kit in the Jeep for off road use. As we all know space is a premium so from those with experience what is needed?

in a word.....................tools :p

With regard to space, I've been planning a small flat snap lid tub to mount under the passneger seat on my CJ~but I wouldn't put my Proto's in there. More likely my old Craftsmans~still serviceable but won't cost me Solomons gold to get replaced if found and stolen

I've thought of something mounted in the engine bay, but never gotten around to making it happen.

I see you have a Tj whatever you choose for tools make sure you have a complete set of torx sockets unbelievable how many of these are on a tj.every time i take one out i replace it with a bolt that has a normal head.i think they came up with these just to frustrate people

I ussually carry:

Assortment of screwdrivers
Assortment of wrenches, pliers, cutters
One medium sized ratchet set (with metric, SAE and Torx fittings)
Some large sockets (in case you need to disassamble an axle or such; my socket set does not carry these, so I need them as an additional)
Allen wrenches (Metric, Sae and Torx)
Tire repair kit
Water, Coolant, oil, ATF
Some spare hoses (vacuum, fuel, etc.; jsut enough to get you out of a bind)
Duck tape (I cant fix as many things as McGyver could, but it still good to get you out of a bind!)
Some chain (you'd be surprise at the uses you can give it!)
Recovery Gear (winch gear, tow strap, etc.)
Emergency gear (some dried food, a jacket, a blanket, etc.)
Large metal tube (it's a breaker bar, a lever, etc)
BFH
Spare parts (I ussually carry U-Joints, couplers for lockers the air lines, and some other small parts).

If you have OBA, you may want to include some key air tools, but I dont carry any. Same if you have an on board welder.

Basically, the rougher the terrain, the more chance of breaking, and the more tools you will need to fix those breaks... This is just kind of what I take myself, but your needs may be different.

Since Obama became president, I only bring hopes and dreams with me off road.

I bring lots of stuff, but I have been slowly leaning out the list.
I suggest getting a simple craftsman mechanics tool kit that has the plastic carrying case, has room insode to add more tools if needed, I'll try to snap a photo if I remember.

Since Obama became president, I only bring hopes and dreams with me off road.

I bring lots of stuff, but I have been slowly leaning out the list.
I suggest getting a simple craftsman mechanics tool kit that has the plastic carrying case, has room insode to add more tools if needed, I'll try to snap a photo if I remember.

ya hopes and dreams should do it. hahahahaha

Back