towing a jeep

makwa

Has anybody towed their jeep behind a motor home?
Looking at getting a tow bar to tow mine. Anything I might have to know?

Thanks,
-Duane

The "Jeep Owners Bible" by Moses Ludel gives good advice on how to tow any specific year Jeep. I know some years you have to disconect the drive shaft.Sounds like important stuff to me.

I think that if you have a CJ with a D300 transfer case you don't have to disconnect the drive shaft for short trips, you just put the transmission in gear and the t-case in neutral. For long ones you are supposed to stop every so often and rev the Jeep in neutral for a while to circulate oil. I've always just pulled the drive shaft on my CJ though, I don't know for sure about newer jeeps but I imagine that they would be more picky...

What model and drivetrain does your jeep have?

For the '87+ with the NP231 transfer case, simply put the transmission in gear (or park for an auto) and the transfer case in neutral. Be sure to leave a key in the column so the steering wheel is unlocked.

I've flat-towed my YJ quite a bit.

What model and drivetrain does your jeep have?

For the '87+ with the NP231 transfer case, simply put the transmission in gear (or park for an auto) and the transfer case in neutral. Be sure to leave a key in the column so the steering wheel is unlocked.

I've flat-towed my YJ quite a bit.

Bounty, in what gear do you put the transmission? I've got a '93 YJ 5 speed, and may someday need to tow it.

1st, but it doesn't really matter just as long as it is in any gear to prevent the transmission internals from spinning.

Back