Tracloc

Go to the the top bar and click on the site map. Go to Edit your details. On the left upper hand , go to jeep info and fill in the blanks so we know what jeep you have.

An '01 TJ should have an addition tag attached beneath a diff cover bolt that tells you to use a fraction additive in the gear oil. Otherwise pull the diff cover and look inside the carrier for the S spacer between the shim packs.

That's the axle part number. P.M. me the last eight digit of your VIN# and i'll tell you what you have.

Last edited:
On flat ground chock the front wheels & jack the rear axle up, until both rear tires are just above the ground.put the transmission in neutral & release the parking brake.
Without getting any part of your body under the vehicle, turn one rear tire while watching the other.

Use safety stands if you are going under the vehicle!

If both tires turn the same direction, you have some sort of traction device.

If it came with a limited slip, it would need the friction modifier to properly lock up. It may have an actual locker (aftermarket) but the only way to know for sure, is to take a look inside.

Another thing to consider is what the friction modifier does. It makes your gear lube more slippery so the clutches don't grab as much. I have a Ford powerlock in my plow truck and I wanted it to grab much more than how it did from Ford. So when I changed the gear lube I didn't add any friction modifier, and I added more shims to preload the clutch pack. Now it works superb, very effective compared to before.
My point is friction modifier isn't a must have for clutch posi's, it does not make them lock up better. But rather slip more making them more street friendly.

Back