Transmission Questions.........

jhiggins

My transmission locked up today in the 88 YJ ...It is locked in first gear with the shifter in neatual ??? And if I drive it I can force it into gear ??? What is the deal???

it's because you bought a TJ.... not a good idea there... take the shifter boot off, remove the shift tower, and make sure the ball is engaged where it is supposed to be.. if not, we're lookin more internal

Man , I had a buddy with a 89 YJ 4 cyl. Don't know which trans he had, but it wouldn't go into low gear. He took it apart at the shifter and had to stick a screwdriver in there every now and then to line it back up somehow. After a while the first gear synchro went out????? Maybe you'll have better luck :D :D :D :D

Later,
Jackal

The clutch is working fine, and the Peugeot BA10/5 transmission is shot. I'd look for a used one, or convert to the better AX15 if you have the $$ and time and patience.

The Peugeot is not as bad a transmission as many will lead you to believe, mine held up for years behind the 350 in my '88 YJ. Also check Ebay.

Bounty__Hunter, so whay do you say the Transmission is shot ??? There is nothing I can do for a temp fix????

I'd say it's shot, and I don't know how much of it would need rebuilt. Rebuilding only the gears and synchros causing the problem is a bandaid fix on a used transmission, and would be a waste of time. I'd rebuild the whole thing, swap in used, or upgrade to the AX15. From what you described it's not a clutch problem.

Check inside the shift tower first, make sure everything is intact and engaged.

In my 87 wrangler, i threw in a NV3550. Got the adapters from Advance and i am VERY happy with the conversion. My puegot locked up in 5th. It's still sitting on my balcony. Anyone wanna buy? Hehe :lol:

if its stuck in gear, with the shifter in neutral... and the clutch WILL disengage power, then that only leaves the transmission to be a problem... clutch is doing what clutches do, the synchros only help you get into gear by synchronizing the speeds of the different shafts, and i really can't think of any way that a synchro could possibly cause you to stay in gear when the shifter is in neutral... my guess would go to be that it is a fork or a rod

it MIGHT be able to be fixed if it is just a matter of replacing a track or a fork

hey, i thought my transmission locked up in gear and i was about to drop that peice of shit peugeout or however it's speeled transmission off a cliff, but my sis boy friend who works on trucks alot tinkered with it for about a half hour. he stuck a flat down nexed to where the shift lever goes and somehow popped some kind of spring and clip over and i carefully slipped the shift lever into the right slot, problem fixed. And then just recently when i was in NH, my sist had to drive it to work and it froze in third. so when i got home i tinkered with it with a lot of swearing and thorwing stuff until i popped the spring loaded clip over and the shift lever back in. try doing that then you can sell a perfectly goood working transmission, whatever you do dont put that P.O.S. back into your jeep.

I have a T5 (s10) with the simular problem.
Took it apart and found the bearing on the input shaft gone as was the gear on the input shaft. The gear was ground down to the size of a bearing race.

Found some rebuild kits on ebay. It doesn't look like it's that hard to rebuild. easier than an automatic.

Thanks for the info guys I am going to pull it in the AM and see if I can figure out what is going on with it ....:(

Back