Ultimate JEEPZ.COM Trail Ride

long ride from connceticut considering my jeep only goes 60 on the highway...... i think i'm leaning towards the train idea. lets do this wherever/whenever

Are we going to shoot for Colorado? Spring of 2004? If so I will start putting it together. Seems like the logical place to me. www.autorail.com has some good prices on getting a jeep/truck here in a closed car. Better than the trucking services and there is a pick-up point close by.

Yanno, auto rail how does that work? It would beat driving stick four days, to me anyway. I drive alone most times long trips and it is very very tiring. I'd be interested in auto rail if someone could explain it to me. Don't know how much time off I can spare but should be able to get a few days saved for this event if we have it.

Jeeper, I'd go with ya in a pack. lol I'm in MD, and I wanna go to this event. It all depends on where it is and when it is so we'll see.

Lady

Well I talked to the owner of Shiloh Ridge today and this is what she had to say :

I will try to answer your questionson line but you may want to call me over the weekend I would really like to talk to you in person as some of the costs and rules are better talked about than written.
First off we would love to have you here I would need a date by January as this is when we set up our calander for the year.
We have on site camping of 110 sites 32 of these have Ele./water and 70+ have water only we also have dry camping. There is 2 Motels in Rusk which is about 12 miles north of us as well an others within 34 - 40 miles.
We will gladly talk to you about a group rate ( call Me). Shiloh Ridge is a little over a 1000 acres of land with a wide range of riding aviable Some rocks,sand over 45 miles of trailes and 2 mud pit areas as will as hills and open pasture land. As far as rules as long as people behave them selves and do not cause anyproblems there are not many. The only thing we ask is no glass bottles and that you pick up after your self. As you will need to sign a waiver when you first enter the park. If you can give me a call on Saturday I will be at the Ridge from 8:30am to 7:00pm and then again on Sunday most of the day. Better yet take a weekend and come see us it will give you a better Ideal of whats here.
Kelly

I'm here..just hanging back in the shadows and seeing where everyone wants to go.......sometimes, too many ideas just confuse the situation lol

Rob 8) :p :)

Here is just a taste of Colorado Springs. This is in a national forest where you can camp, have open fires, and wheel just about anyplace. There are campgrounds with hook-ups and all of that if you need/want it. If you want even better accomodations the Broadmore hotel is at the begining of the trail. There are lots of other hotels in the area as well that are affordable.
I took a day trip out today and took some pic's so you all can see what is here. I took a friend with a bronco out there and he had some problems when we got over 13,000 feet up in elevation. Other than the we had a blast and we were on trails that you could make easy or hard in the mud and in the water. Take a look and enjoy.

http://www.thedragonsden.net/jeep/170803/page_01.htm

If you have any questions about any of the pics let me know
=)

Sound man, Looks nice. Lawd they's some big mountains. lol I'm from flat land and am a wee bit timid in mountains. Thanks for taking the time to get all that information and the pictures though! I'm sure it's a great place.<smile>

Yes there are some big mountains. The trails are really not hard, not unless you want then to be. The trail where I had to put a strap on that bronco can be run with a stock cj. No lift or special tires required. Thats one of the great things about the trails here. They are as hard as you want them to be.
All of that was done less than an hour from my house. Oh, it is free to go up on these trails and to camp in the national forest areas.
:D :D

Well I am game where ever it is Just some one decide please ....:)

Biggest Regret...

Well J, what did the other poll results come up with. I can't find it right now. The sidebar message board links thing not working is really irking me. Is that being looked into? It makes it so much easier to move around to me. <sigh> Prolly just a personal habit. lol

Regardless of what the outcome of the “poll” is I am still going to organize a trail run out here in the spring of 2004. The only thing I need to know is should it be a 2, 3, 4, or a 5, day ride? I am leaning towards a 5-day trip. This way people would be on vacation for a week and get 5 great days across the Rockies in a big loop and a couple days to travel and recover. www.autorail.com has some great deals on transporting your rigs if you don’t want to put the mileage on your rig. There is a pick-up and drop off point nearby. For those that will want to mail or use UPS to get things out here I will provide an address to send things. This is a long ways down the road. I am putting together the run now. I am looking at a run down the highway to a town called Durango and then coming back up through the mountains to a trail that is west of Vail and then back down through the mountains to Colorado Springs. Once I have the whole thing mapped out I will post a marked map. All of the trails will be passable with stock or very close to stock vehicles. This does not mean that the trails are easy. Any trail can be made hard if you want it to be. If some of the trails start to get difficult or are beyond the vehicles ability or the drivers ability or nerves there will be bypass routes set up. On most of the trails I am looking at there are other trails that branch off that are difficult and can be run if the driver would like to do so. I am planning on about 200 miles per day with most if not all of that off road.

If anyone would like to lend a hand please email me, or PM me. This can and will be a logistical nightmare. I am planning on 40 plus vehicles when I am contacting campgrounds and the national park service. I am sure that I will have a few of the locals that I normally run with out here to help on the trails as guides when the routes split up due to difficulty. I am also working with a couple of the local 4wd shops about parts and towing if necessary. There will be more to follow on this.

Curt

Back