undoing a 5" lift

98 Jeep

Can anyone tell me exactly what I would need to remove the lift on this SUV? I had a terrifying experience during the summer in a severe thunderstorm driving through a puddle, not 1 but 2 puddles. I feared for my life and was told the jeep acted that way because by lifting it so high the stability was taken away from it. I have no need for a 5" lift, or the huge tires on it, it looks great but now I fear it will get blown over on a very windy day. Whoever had it prior to my purchasing it had tons of wires that lead nowhere or he just cut them and kept the parts he wanted. I paid $800.00 last year to have some of it fixed, still not done because I'm just not sure I want to keep it. A dual exhaust was also put on which I hate because it is too loud, also the ride is way to bumpy. I like the car I really do, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't, but do I fork out more money or try to sell it to someone who is really into mountain climbing, which I am not. I'd give anything for a smooth ride. If I do decide to lower it would a regular repair shop be able to do it or would I have to take it to a specialty shop? Aside from the $5000.00 I paid for it I also forked out at least $3000.00 for different repairs it needed. I also have an 89 black Firebird which I'd like to sell, it has 46,000 original miles, runs great, just passed inspection in December, beautiful car but since I have the jeep it rarely gets used. Does anyone have any opinions? I know I would need 4 tires, a new exhaust I would like a glass pak because I think all cars sound crummy and they aren't that loud, shocks, something with the power steering and that has to be brand new I'm told a few other things but can't remember them. Thanks in advance for any info u can provide.

You would really need to post several photos of your suspension (control arms front and rear upper and lower as well as your track bar and steering as well as your springs front and rear) for us to give you an idea what has been done. Honestly though if you are unhappy with the amount of money you've already spent you might be further ahead to trade the Jeep for a more stock one.

Back