Weber choke

avyoung

RE: Reverse Pop!!!!

My choke does not work on my Weber 32/36. I am not sure what is going on but someone told me you just had to keyed power to it and I checked to make sure I did. I bought the jeep with the carb so I am not sure if it was installed right. Any sugestions? I am thinking about going to a manual choke is it possible to switch? If so do I need a kit or can I fab something?

I am considering going to a Motorcraft but do not want to shell out the cash if I can get my Weber working good.

Is it not opening or not closing? The keyed power is to open it up as it warms up. I had to adjust mine several times to find a good setting. It was kind of finicky about where it was set.

As far as doing a manual conversion, O'Reily's sells universal kits for like, 9 bucks. It's real easy to do and it only took me about ten minutes and I haven't had to worry about it since. It even comes with instructions!

the power to your weber is spliced into the positive coil line, or the yello (yj) from the ignition switch to the ignition box on the fender. Rather thsn guess which yellow or worry about splicing the wrong one, you can easily just use the positive line to the coil - thats what I have, it works fine, and its automatic. adjusting the weber is generally easy. Whether its the choke idle, or richness, its mostly by ear. I happen to have a tach box i can use with a timing light, but Ive found that the jeep tach is pretty accurate. THe fast idle screw is the one you want to play with if its not at the right sppeed at cold start. do it when its cold - like overnight cold.

The choke is not closing at all when cold. my jeep just backfires and sputters in the mornings that I drive it. It will alway start it just does not run well until it warms up. How do I adjust it? I made sure I had a keyed hot hooked up to it.

Do you have a link for O'Reily's? I did not find much of interest when I searched for it.

RE: got my judgement from JEEP civil suit - now what? help!

try redline weber online, or go to a bookstore looking for a manual on weber carbs. Ive got 2 of them, theyve helped me get to know it well.

Oh, I'm sorry, O'Reilly's is an auto parts store, I guess they don't have any locations there. I did a search on their site for Shoshone, ID and it brought up nothing. I also found that they don't sell their parts over the internet. Well, I would hope that most any auto parts store should carry universal choke kits. Sorry about the misinformation, good luck!

try a store like pep boys for a univ. choke kit. Ive seen em for less than 10.

Go to the link at the bottom of this post. it will aid you in solving your weber issues. Im not sure if it shows the fast idle screw, but its up high, on the motor side of the carb. I believe its a simple spring loaded screw in-out screw. Dont touch the jets. They are brass and go IN to the carb barrel area. These screws were talking about just push or pull on linkage. Also search around on redline's site if your really uncertain. They have a weatlth of info, as they are 1 of the only 2 importers of weber carbs to the USA. Yes, that carb you have probably came through them.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/carburetor_set_up_and_lean_best_.htm

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/Table_of_contents.htm

Redlineweber is about the best site I've found too. If your choke isn't closing at all, it could be linkage binding or it could be the coil is either bad or not adjusted right. There are 3 screws on the outside of the choke coil housing. Loosen them and turn the plastic housing while looking in at the butterflies. See if it ever closes. If it doesn't, look for a screw right in front of the coil low down and see if it is adjusted in enough to hold the choke closed. When the linkage gets to the right point, there is a small half wheel with a couple of teeth on it that the screw should go into to hold it. If the choke does close, set it to where it just closes and then turn on your key. It may take 5 minutes or so, but the voltage to the coil should start opening it up. Also, just close the butterflies by hand and watch your linkage. See if anything is binding.

Back