What I want, at the moment at least

currupt4130

VT Hokie
I'm gonna preface this with two things: 1. I don't normally do this. 2. These are just my rambling thoughts at the moment.

I guess there are a lot of things in life that people want to have, do, be, etc. I've just recently had the time to sit down and think about the things that I want, at least at the time being. The two things I want most at the moment would have to be a glassy head high swell at at S-turns, and a good reliable girlfriend.

I've had a fair amount of the first, and one, possibly two of the second in the past. At the moment however I seem to be lacking both. Good surf and a good girl. Most people would look at me and think I've got it all, and I'll admit I've been blessed with quite a bit. I've got an amazing family, a few good friends, a roof over my head, a job to go home to, and a school to attend every fall and spring, and currently the summer too. Call it selfish, but just the two other things would be great to have. I've been working so much and going to school non stop, and I haven't had time to sit down and think about it, but as I'm sitting here in a luxurious condo in Corolla (I know this makes it all the more ironic), *****ing at my Aunt Susan for getting a place so far from Cape Hatteras, it hit me that those are really the only two things I'm lacking. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have a lot less in this world, and I guess I should feel bad for even wanting anything. But something in me tells me it's ok to want a little more out of life. I work hard at work and in school, I'm a good brother, son, nephew, cousin, etc, and I feel like I can ask for a little bit.

I can't tell you what I'd give for a head high to 3 foot over head swell to roll through S-turns or Boilers on a sunny day with a west wind and no one but me and a select few in the lineup to surf it... And it would be even better to be able to drive home after all of that and fall into the arms of a gorgeous, loving girlfriend, who would want nothing more than to just lay on the couch and watch t.v. as we ate greasy Chinese food and had a Budweiser. I don't think I could ask for more at the time being.

I imagine this will all change as I get older, but I know what won't change is the desire to have just a little more. Call it greedy, selfish, unthoughtful or anything else, but I think I deserve the little bit extra in life that I want. I may have had a lot of things in life just given to me, but that didn't come without a price for me. It didn't for my brothers, but for me, I didn't know my dad 'til I was ten years old or so... (I know many people out there don't even know their dads, in a way I guess it seems selfish of me to even mention it, but I'm not complaining, just understanding).

It seems in life you have to give up something to get somewhere, and it seems my dad knew that. He really in a way gave my mom and I up for a little while, but at the same time he was constantly striving to make our lives better. My parents have set me up for a life many people would beg for. I'm at a highly accredited school doing something I love that will pay quite well as soon as I'm out of school. I'll be able to afford a good life and have money left to play with if all goes according to plan.

I guess I couldn't ask for more. But at the moment I'd feel complete with good surf, and a good girl.

Last edited:

I read your whole post and I'll admit that about a third of the way into it, I was thinking you were having a pity party for yourself and that you were spending way too much time thinking only of your favorite subject....you.;)

I'm just going to be blunt, since you have been so open about this predicament you think you are in. On one hand, at least I find virtue in that the things you feel you are lacking, now in life, don't require money. You can't buy good surf and you can't buy a good woman. You can pay money and put yourself into a situation to find both more easily, but in the end, neither can truly be bought. That is a good thing for you that you are not obsessed with objects, rather things that will bring you pleasure and satisfaction. I can't help with the surf problem, but I suggest that if you spend a little more time, thinking in terms of what other's needs are or don't despair so much at what you think your needs are, God will bring you the woman He wants you to have if you ask. Look in the right places and it will happen. I think you are a bright young person that has allot to offer this world, if those two things you need are all you need, take a deep breath,.... exhale, repeat as often as needed. Your gonna be fine;) ;)

Growing up, I never had much. I had to work for everything I had. Sure, my parents bought me nice gifts at Christmas and birthdays and occasionally just randomly, but never anything too extravagant or expensive. Mom would scrimp and save all year just so she and dad could take the four kids someplace neat for a week in the summer. Looking back at the sacrifices they made for us makes me feel guilty. I had to mow lawns to earn money to buy a bike when I was a kid. I had to take a job after school to earn money to buy a car when I was in high school. I've never had much of anything handed to me on a silver platter, but I'm not complaining. I had the best parents in the world, not something many kids of my generation could say. I, too, longed for something more...mostly a decent woman who would love me as much as I loved her. I didn't find her till I was 35 years old.

Is it wrong to want more than what God has given you? I won't judge, nor will I say yes or no. Man is weak, and whether you want a million dollar mansion or just a roof over your head, God will provide what he sees fit when he sees fit. I agree with 90, at least you are looking for things money can't buy, and they are not material items in the purest sense of the word. I certainly don't fault you for what you want, nor do I envy you for what you already have. Yours is a bright future, my friend, and I wish you all the best. From what I've read here on Jeepz from you, you will do well, I am sure of that.

So, for the time being, just keep on keepin' on. The great thing is that some day you'll see the head-high swells when you least expect them, and as you ride that glassy flow to the beach, she'll be there waiting for you. I know this in my heart. Anticipation is the happiest joy and the most painful sorrow at the same time. Be strong, it will happen.

PS: My niece broke up with her boyfriend a couple of months ago and is going to K-State this fall, if you're up for a transfer. 8) They have a decent engineering department there, too!;)

Sounds to me like you are bored and lonely. You're missing your favorite source of recreation and you don't have the love of a woman in your life which is what you depend on for primary companionship. Well I'm not going to dwell much on the waves. You'll have plenty more of that stuff in the future and although you need recreation to maintain a level of sanity you can go without that far easier than companionship.

As for the lack of a woman in your life, the best advice I can give as to where to find one would be the grocery store or church. Laugh if you will but you'll have a tough time finding one worthwhile in a bar or club. If you want to meet women they all have to eat (grocery store) and from what I have seen at the churches I go to the ever-elusive "un-attached good girls" which are almost non existant in our society can be found on Sundays. IT would'nt hurt to get involved in a community church either, as you might find there may be some other rewarding ways to fill your non-surf time like helping in your town or something like that.

Like 90 said you have alot to offer. It'll work out.

Laugh if you will but you'll have a tough time finding one worthwhile in a bar or club.

Like I always told my mom, "I wouldn't want to go home with the type of girl that would go home with me from a bar!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My parents divorced when I was two, then my older brother and I were raised by our grandparents. When my brother was nine years old he was killed in a freak accident while I was with him. I use to be scared to have dreams, but looking back I married a beautiful woman, have a wonderful 2 year old son with another son due in August. I'm a fireman who gets to help people at their worst. I hunt and fish without any problems from my wife, and of course get to tinker with my jeep.
Anyway, the girl will come, your dreams will come true and there will always be time and a place for fun it just takes patience and faith.
God will bless if you let him.

Snap out of it man!
The waves and the women will come in due time. What you have to do right now is get out there and enjoy the things you do have.
I went to the funeral of my best friend's older brother last week. He was 38, lived fast, free and on the edge. Unfortunately it cost him his life. I'll tell you one thing though, he made the most of it while he was here on this earth and that's what we all need to do.

Back