XJ owner's curiosity...

Saurian

Just a question that has been on my mind. In disassembling a few components on my XJ, I found that they seem to be inherently waterproof, the design of the window switches, things like that... On, say, a TJ, though, when driving in the rain with the top off, what about things like the factory radio, or the ignition switch? Does the water affect these components, or are they designed to be wet in this model... I only ask because I am planning to add (not replace) either a TJ, or YJ to the family once the XJ is paid off, and it's been something that I was curious about...

Also, for a river-fording point of view, is the fuseblock located in the passenger side kickplate, or did they put it somewhere more sensible?

I wouldnt say water-proof, but they are definately resistant to it. Mines been in the rain several times with no noticable problems other than a dimmer switch that had issues for a week or so, and my hazard lights no longer work. As for the fuse panel, one is located behind the glovebox. There is also the underhood powerblock which i would assume is fairly weather resistant since it is under the hood.

This is all on a TJ by the way. I dont know about YJs...

Nathan

RE: XJ owner

I've noticed that the dash in my Jeep redirects water. It's a YJ BTW. LOL I've gotten rain on the interior side of my windshield, but everything under the dash was fine. If anything, you just get a few drops on the displays of the dash, but it'd due to stray raindrops, not from water flowing. So to conclude my-meds-didn't-kick-in-yet-and-I'm-tired rambling.... YJs came from the factory to resist water. -Mike

RE: welding spider gears

Not sure if you guys knew, but there's also six or more drain plugs in addition to your floorpan plugs. two of them are right above the rear shocks which will come in handy when you go around lubin' stuff! Frosted Flakes! -Mike

RE: Re: Another cooling question.

Good places for the fuseblocks... XJ is at about foot level, right on the passenger side kickplate, all my friends keep on knocking off the cover...

Back