YJ in -30Celcius

FITZER

Ok, here's the deal. A little while back, found this '89 YJ for pretty cheap. Plan was, I'd buy it, and re-sell to make a couple bucks.

But...............I LIKE IT TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(go figure!)

So now I'm thinking I may keep it, and sell the Dakota that I'm making payments on. But, my biggest concern is, am I gonna turn into a frozen turd come winter? It seems to blow real good heat, but let's face it, there's a 'sealing' issue that seems to go along with a Jeep, and insulation is pretty much nil. When I bought it, it was still fairly cool out. Usually around the freezing mark. Around town it was fine. Out on the highway though, you could sure feel the heat getting sucked away.

I have picked up another auxillary heater unit,(like the rear heat ones in a van and such) that's 17000 BTU. I was gonna rig it up this fall, either behind the rear seat, or removing the rear seat all together, and have it kind of removeable for the summer.

Now, for those that may not know -30 celcius, that's about minus 22 F. Rare, but definately not unheard of.

Just looking for your opinions, and/or experiences.

My suggestion is this: MOVE. J/K. I used to live in WI and regularly saw days that didn't even reach zero and nights that were -20.

If the door seals are old, maybe replacing them with a better seal like from 3M. You'll probably have to order it. Most auto parts stores won't carry the beefier kind you really need. Trust me I know from experience.

:idea: You might also have a look at this site. This might help you out.
OFFROAD HEROS - Top Liner
;)

You can either get the interior sprayed or rolled with a rubberized liner or use the dynamat for insulation. Run your heater on recirculate rather than fresh air. The heater will be more efficient this way. Check the fresh air intake door by the hood/ windshield cowl. There should be a small strip of foam around the door where it meets the plenum housing. You can also use the dynamat to plug some of the holes in the firewall that's not being used and holes that are exessively bigger than whats going through it.

A hard top for winter and full doors will make a big difference and can be had fairly cheap at times (<$500).

I don't find my YJ all that cold, but it's never -20 something here and I rarley drive the hiway and it's only for 2 exits (8 miles or so) at a time anyway.
Getting the top on tight, the doors to close/seal both help a lot.

My bigger issue on my YJ (no A/C) is that it has one heater duct on the passenger floor/middle area and my feet can be on fire and my body is cold. TJs that have dash's like cars, with vents everywhere, have to be overall warmer.

When you think it's cold just watch some WW2 movie with open jeeps and the germans riding about in open cars in the winter. We're just wimps these days!

BURRR, this is why I live in the DESERT!!! :twisted: I'll laugh clear until it hits 120 F. :shades:

I don't know what your concern is. I have Daily Driven jeeps in the North east for nearing 15 years. 22 degree's F is a normal winter day. we get as low as 0 F on mid january for weeks on end. Never had issue with starting, heat, or running the engine.

Just don't be an idiot though, perform the proper pre-winter maintance and you will be fine, if you truely are concerned, put a block heater on the jeep. Around here it is an option on most vehicles from the factory.

It's not the winter maintainance, block heaters, oils, antifreezes, etc I'm worried about. 45 years in this climate, I got it figured. But, it's me! Getting wimpy in my old age! :lol: Wanna be warm when I trek out for a few hours, without dressing like an eskimo.
Anyway, thinking it 'should' be alright, if I do a little insulating, and the extra heater. Time will tell.

It's not the winter maintainance, block heaters, if I do a little insulating, and the extra heater. Time will tell.

you'll be wasting your time and efforts. the jeep will warm just fine.... Mine actually gets to the point where it is obnoxously hot... Unless your one of those old guys who walks around in the 90 degree july heat with an over coat on because your cold... then your screwed.

you'll be wasting your time and efforts. the jeep will warm just fine.... Mine actually gets to the point where it is obnoxously hot... Unless your one of those old guys who walks around in the 90 degree july heat with an over coat on because your cold... then your screwed.

Lol! Nope! Not quite that old.....yet. Workin' at it though!

Ok. Good to hear. Still gonna rig up the auxillary heater too though. I just keep remembering when it was around 0Celcius(freezing mark), how the Jeep lost heat out on the highway. If it's too much heat, bummer. I can shut them down. Not eough heat though, and:x:roll::cry:

your vehicle should produce more heat on the highway than one surface roads, more air to flow over the heater core. your heat loss was the result of another issue.

your vehicle should produce more heat on the highway than one surface roads, more air to flow over the heater core. your heat loss was the result of another issue.

It's not a issue of producing heat. It blows hot, and lots of it. It's the heat loss that's gonna become a concern. 60 MPH down a highway at -30, sucks heat away FAST!

Back