YJ signal issues

geopig

Hi all, it's been a long time since I've posted on jeepz.com but after having my jeep in storage for a year and a half I'm back on the road with it. The issue I'm having is with the rear turn signal flashers. I just installed an LED conversion kit on my 91 YJ. Brake and tail lights are no problem but when I put the turn signal on, both indicators flash. It doesn't matter if I put the right or left indicator on, both will flash. The 4-way flashers work just fine. I searched around here and at stu-offroad where there is a TJ writeup but never came across this issue in reference to a YJ. I'm going to try change the turn signal relay to see if this fixes the problem. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Or have any other possibilities that may be the issue? Thanks in advance.

were they hard wired w/new pigtails or plug n play? - check the wiring and make sure you dont have anything crossed up.... thats the only thing i can think of w/this swap if all was working b/4 you started... generally if the relay is bad it'll just not blink or blink rapidy (usually not blink as there is not enuff resistance to heat up the relay - like a bulb is out...)
good luck and let us know what it turns out to be...

Thanks LV, I definitely had some wires crossed, but I'm still having an issue. Everything was working before the change also.
So after my first botched attempt I pulled it all apart again this evening and think that I'm pretty close. So as wired now (after trying many permutations) I have:
Lights: working, dimmer than brake light as they should be
Brake lights: working, brightest
4-way flashers: working (flashing) and brightest
Turn signals: not working correctly, both rear lights come on the brightest setting with either the left or right turn signal activated but do not flash, at the front of the jeep when left signal is on left flasher is solid, when right is on right flasher is solid.

I'm pretty certain I tried all possible wiring combos despite the wiring colors on the drivers' side is different than on the passengers side.

One thing I did notice is that both of my side marker bulbs at the front were burnt out so I'll pick up 2 more to see if that makes a difference. I think I may try a new relay also since I'm pretty sure at this point the wiring is correct. But if neither of those things work, I'm back to the drawing board (or wiring diagram...).

I'm not exactly sure on LED conversion cuz I haven't done it yet, but I've had the exact experience with a 92 YJ. Jeep's lights are run in series which means that if one light is out or connection broken, the whole shebang don't work. Check all lights to include back up, side etc, and connections. Mine was wired with a trailer harness which was mangled and packed with mud & muck. Removing it and closing connections corrected all turn signal problems. Some Jeeps were factory wired for trailer lights so it may be tucked up under the rear bumper. Hope this helps!

well.. if you havent figured it out yet - take a mulitmeter and check all the wires... as for the flasher - the stock flasher relay wont always work w/led tailights - they simply do not pull enuff current to make it work... you need a hd relay (one that will work regardless if the bulbs do or not - like the hazard relay...) but bottom line is if it worked b/4 the swap it'll work after as long as all the connections are correct - put a meter on the wires and you'll get it done and done right....
let us know...

edit...

just re-read your post and you said .... "Turn signals: not working correctly, both rear lights come on the brightest setting with either the left or right turn signal activated but do not flash, at the front of the jeep when left signal is on left flasher is solid, when right is on right flasher is solid." the front signals being solid and not flashing tells me that the relay is the culprit - the led's are not like a regular bulb - they dont pull enuff current to heat the relay enuff to make it flash (thats how a flasher relay works - the current heats up the contact bar= like a cig. lighter heats up but not as extreme= and when it gets hot it flexes away from the contact, breaking the circuit, cooling off, straightens up and contacts again, heating up, flexing away, cooling off, straightens up, connects again... etc... etc... hence the blink blink blink... not enuff current, not enuff heat and the contact never breaks - hence the constant on... just like a lot of cars pulling trailers w/the extra lights will blink reaaaaaly fast... check the relay and your grounds...
you'll get it...

Last edited:
Finally did get them working. As it turns out, on the passenger side tailight there was an extra wire that was not necessary to hook up, which differed from the drivers side. I was trying to utilize all 3 wires on the passengers side since that is what I did on the drivers. I'm not sure what the extra wire was for but without it hooked up everything works perfectly. I also needed the new relay to get the signals actually flashing. It was the Tridon Stant EL-12 that is noted on the Stu Olson jeep website. Thanks for the advice LV!

Back