zj or wj?

dopo

I am trying to decide on which model of Jeep I'd like for new vehicle. I currently have a 97 zj 4.0 need advice. I like my zj but I'd like newer model of Jeep but I drive my mothers 4.0 wj year 2000 leather interior, I don't feel comfortable in it as my zj. Could I please get some pros and cons on your opinions in the zj and wj only 4.0 please. Thanks in advance.

For those new to the Grand Cherokees:
ZJ (1993–1998)
WJ (1999–2004)

I haven't owned either, but I think that they are pretty similar as far as specs. This may just come down to which style you like better. For me, I'd want a WJ just because it's newer. A ZJ is going to be at least 14 years old, and while it could be a great daily driver, it will most likely cost more and require more upkeep.

Are you looking to sell your ZJ and upgrade to a WJ?

Last edited:
I've owend both, honestly it's a toss up as Terry said the newest zj is 14 years old well the newest wj is 9 years old so both will be potentialy requring repairs/replacement of various parts. From what i've seen the wj's are a bit less prone to rust, where the zj's all seem to rust in the same places...it all comes down to price condition features and milage. They're both solid reliable vehchiles.

Yea looking to sell zj eventually. So just getting ideas of both. I like the less rust on wj bottom of my zj doors and lift gate are rusting more and more.

i like the zj, i had a 94 or 93, which ever is the first year. my sis in law had a wj and it was always having trouble. the indows would pop off track or the motors would quit. the radio had issues. hers was identical to mine, a laredo model with 4.0 and auto but hers was just always having something wrong with it

Back