Installing an explorer rear end in a YJ

2000roo

I scored an explorer rear end for 30.00 bucks!!!! 373 gears and posi lock just need calipers and rotors. Sweet deal. Now I just need to know how to install it. It has the electronic in the top. What do you do to the drive shaft? Where do you buy new spring perches and the other brackets? Is there a way to make the electronic posi lock work or do I need use another type of locker?
Thanks
Keith

could add a switch with a relay for posi lock , just need to find whats the proper power voltage for the posi lock so you dont toast it. as for perches you could just cut off old ones from original rear and cut off perches off the 8.8 and weld the other ones where they need to be just dont over heat axle to much while welding could screw up your inner and outer bearings if they get to hot

best way to do with out a rack is to sit perches on top of rear with jeep up on stands roll rear under jeep jack rear till perches just meet springs turn rear till drive shaft angle is acceptable mark up rear for placement of perches just measure making sure you get same measurement on both sides tack weld perches so it will mount up straight remove rear to weld perches ect

i believe that the pinion angle is supposed to be 2* low at ride height. someone correct me if im wrong

If its done like I said it should get the 2 * pitch by placing it back on wheels
been building these heaps for years havnt had a prob yet

since when did the 8.8 have a stock electric posi? you sure that is just not the speed sensor wires for teh rear abs?

also, might have to grab your ankles. calipers for that axle with out cores gets mighty pricey

I thought so.. been a while since I looked at a 8.8.. also it is not a posi rear, either open or LSD. the LSD is pretty much useless unless you have an auto and can modulate the break and gas to get it to lock up.

It is the ABS sensor plug. All I have heard are positives about the swap. I picked up the rear end off Craigs list for 27.00 Yes, 27.00. I know that the calipers and rotors are 220.00 new. I thought that it wasn't a bad deal. I just know that my dana 35 is junk. I can lock up the 8.8 later. I don't do any heavy wheeling yet. I am just getting this old thing ready. I don't want to break on the trail when I get there. I know that I am a rookie but I am going to give it hell when I get there. Thanks For all the input

Make sure you heat the center section before welding it or else you wasted your time. The weld won't stick to the cast and will crack.

You can avoid preheating the center chunk if you use 55%nickel rods when welding the tubes to the diff.

The connection on top of the diff housing is the ABS, ignore it.

Check for a tag attached to one of the diff cover bolts, if it has an L on it then you have the limited slip diff.

You can get Mopar Performance spring perches online or from the dealer for around $20pr, then you need to score shock mounts and somebody to weld everything up.

There is no set pinion angle, it varies by jeep. You need to throw the perches on where you want them and snug up the ubolts. Then let the weight back onto the axles and check your pinion angle. You want the pinion angle parallel or 1º-2º down from parallel with the transfer case output shaft.
2joint_angle-1.gif

I replaced the rear axle on my truck with a Dana 44 with selectable E-lockers when I busted my axle housing a couple years back.. There should be TWO electrical connectors on the diff. One is ABS/downhill assist, the other is for the lockers. I didn't have the computer upgrades for the other crap so I just hooked up the lockers. It used a ten amp fuse. I ran it from hot to fuse to switch to diff to ground. Works fine. Make sure it "clicks" on when activated. They're usually fail open so it takes power to activate it.

I assume you read the thread... Ford never put a electronic selectable locker into a explorer 8.8

The only 8.8 rears ford has produced with one, to my knowledge are the later mustangs (started in 05 or 06) and IRS cobra's

Another question. With the offset of the 8.8 is there going to be alot of drive line vibration on the highway?

tom woods has a shaft for the conversion they sell. you will need some basic measurements, but it's a good shaft.

Back