Amazed at the Lack of Professionalizm

97wr@ngler

I had a 4in lift recently installed on my TJ and at no time did the mech's call me and mention that my transmission mount was shot, nor did they mention it when i picked it up the other day but when i went back to them they say "OH YEA FORGOT TO TELL YOU YOUR MOUNT IS SHOT" and when i asked them to replace it i got " GIMME $60 AND ILL FIX IT" no thanks ill just do my best and handle it myself. Sorry for venting but i had to talk to someone.

Your response to their "offer" to fix it for $60 was Right On!! The only way we as customers can get our dissatisfaction noted is to take our business elsewhere!
It really shouldn't be too hard to change that trans mount yourself. Let us know how it works out or you know you can always get help here if you run into questions.

That is exactly why I do all of my own work on the Jeep. If I don't know how to do it I will find a fellow jeeper who does. I would rather spend the $60 on food and beer and strengthen a friendship or make a new one then pay a crooked mechanic. I know there are good honest ones out there but the crooks outweigh them by a ton to 1.

I have a question though, is it the responsibility of the suspension lift installer to check a transmission mount? unless he was installing a SYE, he is not even working in that area of the undercarage.
Yes I understand your frustration and seeing as how you said he knew about it, that is a ******** move. seeing as I know a lot of mechanics it may have been 1. he really didn't notice it and is attempting to get the business
2. he saw it and simply forgot to mention it.

I find it hard that he would have purposely not mentioned it if he noticed it. (and if he did, I would double check all the work he performed because he is probably not a very good mechanic then)

Oh he knew cause he had to drop the skid plate to lower the transfer case.

I have a question though, is it the responsibility of the suspension lift installer to check a transmission mount? unless he was installing a SYE, he is not even working in that area of the undercarage.
Yes I understand your frustration and seeing as how you said he knew about it, that is a ******** move. seeing as I know a lot of mechanics it may have been 1. he really didn't notice it and is attempting to get the business
2. he saw it and simply forgot to mention it.

I find it hard that he would have purposely not mentioned it if he noticed it. (and if he did, I would double check all the work he performed because he is probably not a very good mechanic then)
get serious:shades:

I'm surprised that he's pass up the chance to make more money, especially when they've already got you on the lift. I'd bet that he actually did forget to mention it.

Big loss of customer care out there. No one wants the more involved jobs without gouging.
I had some work done by a shop and they damaged my hood and didn't complete all the work.
When I showed up they didn't say anything but "Your good to go."
When I questioned the workers and owner on the damage they claimed it wasn't them. They are paying for it cause they had the vehicle when the damage was done.

Come on who wouldn't notice a dent on each side of the hood where it would meet up with the windshield when fully opened. REALLY!

Having ranted... There are good shops out there. When you find one treat them well.

I'd be more concerned that they welded the transfer case drop to the frame, and possibly the belly pan to the drop spacers (from your other thread). To me the transmission mount is pretty minor compared to that hack job.

firestone put a huge dent in my wife's hood, not knowing she was watching. then they tried to say they didn't do it. she showed them the pic and they still said it wasn't them. she told them she stood and watched the mechanic slam the hood on the latch and then instead of lifting it and flicking the handle to move the hood and dropping it down, she told the manager how she watched him try to force the hood closed. she then took the manager out and showed him how the mechanic tried to force the hood close and how it was now dented. he said he wasn't paying for it so she called me and the manager and i discussed how i had just bought my wife this jeep the weekend before and there was no dent and how his mechanic apparently thought that all vehicles had hoods you just drop down and then you push a litle more to latch if it doesn't work. i told him i have no problem with the mechanic accidentally dinging the hood but they needed to fix it or we i would instruct my wife to stand outside the door to the store and call the cops and have them write a report in the parking lot in front of the store and that our insurance agent was in the office at the other end of hte strip mall, the state farm office he could look at if he walked out and looked right and they had pics of when we took it over for hte full coverage with extra policy.

he said he still didn't think they did it but he would have his body guy fix it for us for free. i said thanks and that was fine

Bounty__Hunter said:
I'd be more concerned that they welded the transfer case drop to the frame, and possibly the belly pan to the drop spacers (from your other thread). To me the transmission mount is pretty minor compared to that hack job.

No just square tubing to the frame they didnt weld the plate thankfully

ya you got other issues going on here. to install a T-case drop, generally you unbolt the skid, drop it 1/2 inch or so and slide the spacers in and bolt back up, hense why I said unless there was a SYE installed, a competent installer wouldn't even look at the mount.

if the T-case drop is welded to the frame.. ya, kinda speakless, My guess is (and it is kinda common) he either snapped a couple of the T-case bolts or they were pretty badly rotted and instead of repairing the frame properly, he just welded some metal on. I still stand by my statement that most mechanics would have just made a simple mistake, but this guy.. something else is going on.

ya you got other issues going on here. to install a T-case drop, generally you unbolt the skid, drop it 1/2 inch or so and slide the spacers in and bolt back up, hense why I said unless there was a SYE installed, a competent installer wouldn't even look at the mount.

if the T-case drop is welded to the frame.. ya, kinda speakless, My guess is (and it is kinda common) he either snapped a couple of the T-case bolts or they were pretty badly rotted and instead of repairing the frame properly, he just welded some metal on. I still stand by my statement that most mechanics would have just made a simple mistake, but this guy.. something else is going on.

Check out RC 4 in lifts one I opened has 2 square tubes as skid plate spacer. Being they welded them they likely took off the skid. Though your correct the install directions are to drop and squeeze them in without removal.
Using the floor jack, slightly lower the skid plate and insert
the transfer case lowering spacer as shown in​
Photo 11.
image-missing.png

I completely understand how they should work, years back I had the skyjacker version of this t-case drop. but I never welded it to the frame. welding to the frame was probably done because of the frames condition? with out pictures all we do is speculate

Just wanted to say that when I had a shop (Mount Zion Offroad) install a SYE in my TJ recently that they noticed my transmission mount was cracked and took care of it for me. Is this a common failure?

And also, my mind is blown that they would weld the t-case drop brackets to the frame...

Back