Transfer case

XjShake

So we get the most snow I have ever seen and my transfer case goes out... I have a 89 xj with the np231 should i get another one of those our is there a better one... One thing to remember oas my xj is my dd... Is a np231 with out a slip yoke?

the 231 has a slip yolk on the rear drive shaft (unless it has a sye kit installed). How do you know it is the transfer? Has it been making a racket? Around here a 231 will cost you about 250.00 at the junk yard (if you can find one). There is also a 242 transfer that will bolt to your trans, but I think the yolks are different(the spline count or something). As for "is there a better one?",....the 231 is about as good as there is (stock) without going to some aftermarket,high dollar deal.
I would try to check everything out to make sure it is the transfer before I bought one.

Replace it with a 231. If it's just a matter of your front tires not spinning, it could be a problem with the vacuum disconnect on the front axle.

I think it's my transfer case... I can disengage it then re engage it and it will start going in for wheel but then it will go out... I can get one for bout 75

XjShake said:
I think it's my transfer case... I can disengage it then re engage it and it will start going in for wheel but then it will go out... I can get one for bout 75

I thought you were gettin a new jeep

I would love to but if I do I can't get new tires or a sye... Thats my deal... I've been scheming up a plan... Get a xj

Didnt mean to post that want done... I want to buy a stock xj put my lift and tires on it and scrap my jeep... Order a sye with the money I get for scraping her

XjShake said:
Didnt mean to post that want done... I want to buy a stock xj put my lift and tires on it and scrap my jeep... Order a sye with the money I get for scraping her

Sounds like a plan to me

My wife bargas bad at me cause all I do is "scheme" up plans to get extra funds for my jeep... She doesn't understand

Thats what all my girlfriends say but they dont get that jj is like my wife lol when they date me they date her to

One quick question... If my transfer case is bad wouldn't my 2hi not work? When engaged in 4hi or or 4low the shafts dont turn just grind... You guys think low fluid woukd cause this

XjShake said:
One quick question... If my transfer case is bad wouldn't my 2hi not work? When engaged in 4hi or or 4low the shafts dont turn just grind... You guys think low fluid woukd cause this

2hi would work cause its only using the shaft nothing is ingaged and no fluid would not change this it sounds like somethin is out of wack like loose chain or bent broken forks etc

Do like bounty said check the vacuum disconnect on your diff

The rear out put just grinds when engaged in 4 wheel... I think my vacuum lines have been disconnected since I got my jeep

It should be from a similar drivetrain, check the length and spline count of the input shaft to make sure it's the same as yours.

Back