On board air help !!

blackcj

image-3103582275.jpg

As you can see I have front and rear bumpers that can be used as tanks. On board air would be nice to have on the trail. What is the best compressor for under the hood ? Thanks.

Get a york 210.

This is what I have and been running it for the better part of 10 years. The only down side is I occasionally will get oil discharge into my OBA tank, which doesn't bother me as it is keeping the inside of the tank from rotting. :D

The York 210 seems to be the one to use and will mount right on to my 360. Just gotta go find a old wagoner and start wrenching I guess. Thanks jeeps.

My a/c hasn't blown cold air in 3 years and I haven't missed it. Can the stock TJ a/c compressor be converted to run OBA? I've read all about the Yorks and know they're pretty popular, but they're also expensive and I don't want to have to buy something that I don't need.

York 210s were used in early 80s volvos. Lots of junk yards got those laying around. I picked up one for about 25 bucks.

How long have you been useing it? I had heard something to the effect that refrigeration type pumps dont last long because of pumping air only destroys their seals,or something like that.

I haven't been using it long but when i use it i give it a little squirt of WD 40 into the intake just before i turn it on to lube it.

I haven't been using it long but when i use it i give it a little squirt of WD 40 into the intake just before i turn it on to lube it.
Wd 40 may not be good for it { the seals}. The reason I say this, is that I used to spray it on my dial calipers regularly to keep them clean and lubricated. Then one day I noticed the measureing scale on the calipers was comeing off. Had not thought of the scale being glued on, but the wd 40 acted to dissolve and loosen the adhesive. So it makes me think that it may not be good to use on any type of petroleum product such as rubber. Perhaps 3 in 1 oil or ' pnuematic air tool oil would be better.

I run a York 210 also. I've read the stock Sanden compressor will work as long as you keep it lubricated. I believe the Sanden produces a lot more heat.

I converted my OE A/C pump a year ago and used an old fire extinguisher for a tank. A small home built panel with an auto shut off at 120 PSI and a switch in the dash to put power to the clutch circuit and it works real good. I kept the high point of the original AC aluminum intake pipe and threaded a muffler into it. I put a few drops of marvel mystery oil in it once in a while to lube it a bit and it has been working strong since. I even piped a quick disconnect in to the grill for easy access and pop a rubber cover to keep it clean when not in use. It can inflate my 33" tire from 15 to 30 PSI in less than a minute. It will run a impact for short bursts too. just rotated my tires! If and when the OE compressor fails I will shop for a york for sure though. I think I invested 5 dollars in some fittings the rest is stuff I had laying around.

The benfit of the york over the sanden is that the york has a oil bath to lubricate the piston that is seperate from the coolant. the sanden relys on the coolant as a lubricant. In the absence of the coolant, the sanden will eventually sieze.

the yorks came as 208, 209, and 210, the number refering to the CC bore of the compressor. I got my York from a 80's volvo 240 from a junk yard, cost me only a couple bucks. AMC v8 motors came with yorks so the bracketry is out there for them. I paid about another $30 to rebuild the york with new rings, seals, and barbed intake/output fittings. My OBA tank is a 5 pr 7 gallon airbrake tank from a mitsubishi fuso box truck that I pulled out of the junk yard for cheap. I am using a craftsman pressure switch I pulled off an old compressor, turns ona at 50 psi and off at 125 psi. everything else to plumb the system is plumbing supply shop stuff that was dirt cheap. I have about $100 total into an OBA system that I've been using for 10 years.

Now that I posted that.. My Daily driver pickup uses a Viair continuous duty air pump and it works just as good if not better. It's mounted up under the frame rails and other than the occasional vibrations from turning on, never know it's there.

I have a York, but also a cheapo $40 Harbor Freight special that is pretty fast on the refill. 5 minutes to fill a 33/12.50/15 from flat (leaky rim) to full.

Got a "pancake " style compressor from Harbor freight. 3 gal thank and runs on 110 AC. I am running a larger converter on my YJ anyway so I am getting the power from it. It cost me $50.00 and works great. I don't have back seats in my jeep so I have plenty of room to keep it Ot of the way....

Just got a York from a old ford fair mount wagon for 30 bucks. Just have to get mounting plate and new clutch assembly. Way better price wise compared to a new oba setup.

On board update. Found a working york210 for $30 mounted now trying top find a cheap coalescing filter wow not cheap . Does it ha e to be this type?

image-3441118721.jpg

carnuck said:
I have a York, but also a cheapo $40 Harbor Freight special that is pretty fast on the refill. 5 minutes to fill a 33/12.50/15 from flat (leaky rim) to full.

Are you running a coalescing filter ? So expensive for something that's not on all the time. So many other filters could work.

Back