<<<<-- MINI SPOOL -->>>>

jhiggins

Few questions about a mini spool or a full spool.....How reliable are these? and does anyone have these that aren't on a drag car....also pros and cons on them ....need input ....thanks :-D :lol: :-D [addsig]

they act the exact same way as a lincoln locker... no different than welding the diff... its basically a full time locker... they have their obvious advantages... i guess i'll have to turn it over to bounty from here.... the stage is yours my man[addsig]

They are very reliable and solid. The full spool requires setting the gears after moving the ring gear to the spool. The mini-spool replaces the spiders, and unfortunately neither are available for a D30 and D35. If they were, I'd buy both. My front and rear are welded, Lincoln Lockers :cool: [addsig]

You almost have me sold on the lincoln locker in the rear at least! I quiver to even think about doing this but it just may happen before the trail week. Just have to see how the lift goes. I have someone that will do it i just need the ****s to get it done. scarry way to go. Tug[addsig]

It usually helps to know somebody who has already taken the plunge, then learn from their experience and maybe even test drive their Jeep. A good friend of mine had his YJ a week and welded the rear, having ridden shotgun with me on countless wheelin trips :lol:

If you have the spiders welded correctly, taking them out and replacing them with stock spiders is only a 30 min. job, and can even be done as trail prep before leaving the house :cool: Basically makes the spiders into a mini-spool if you really think about it.[addsig]

I´ve welded spiders, but never in anything smaller than a D-60. Seen some guys, destroy 9 inch fords with a mini spool. I don´t really think the 35 or the 30 is up to it. The D35 isn´t that robust to begin with, and locking it up and possibly, in certain situations, having all the torque from the motor, on one axle, with no way to dump it (slip the loose tire) will probably break something, someday and possibly destroy some associated drivetrain parts in the process.
If you think about it for a minute, if the tires don´t slip, the gears in the diff don´t break, the U-joints don´t break, the transmission gears don´t shatter, the tranfer chain or gears break, the clutch doesn´t explode, the crank will probably break. I´d rather have a tire slip or a limited slip diff. to get rid of the extra torque, when I pop the clutch and the tire doesn´t turn.
I´ve snapped a few U-joints and tranfer chains, with an open differential and a big rock and a gas pedal, D44 and engine torque. Once sheared off the flywheel bolts. They mostly use mini spools for light wieght flat track racers and full spools for drag, sand or mud racing. Spools or locked diff´s don´t work well when driving around corners.[addsig]

Just speaking from my experience. My welded diffs have held up fine, for over a year with pretty tough wheelin. So have others I personally know and wheel with. Sure the D35 and D30 have their limits, everything does. I run a 4banger and 33" and smaller tires, so leverage and torque is minimal compared to some setups.

I've seen several auto lockers break where my Lincoln Locker has allowed me to crawl right up. I think the auto lockers put too much shear stress on the shafts when they lock offroad, seen a lot of snapped shafts. Limited slips are nice, but they have their limits :lol: [addsig]

I like my ARB. It's on when I want it on , and it's off when I want it off. Someday when I get a bigger axle up front an ARB will be up ther too. on, off, on, off, on, off when I want it. It's good on streets that haven't been plowed yet, in 4high with the rear locker locked. :-D [addsig]

Back