2.5L performance?

I haven't, taking out the shroud for me would mean relocating the coolant and PS reservoirs

i took out my shroud but cut it so the mounts for the res. stay where they are

Attachments

• HPIM2570.JPG
    HPIM2570.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 225
  • HPIM2571.JPG
    HPIM2571.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 266

i took out my shroud but cut it so the mounts for the res. stay where they are
the fan is from a 92 sable and fits over the stock rad of my 97 TJ
there is no fins that are not covers by the sable shroud and i have it running off a toggle switch , i didnt worrie about the 2 speeds i just used the high speed and just leave the fan off till i get up to running temp in cold weather,
it helps alot in winter with faster warm up and at low speeds pulls alot of air through to keep it cool,

I know a lot of fans from fords and other cars fit a TJ, I like mine because if there is a problem its available at any Checker (O'Rielleys) in the country, I dont have to find a junk yard, just a parts store :)

I try to have that philosophy all the way around the Jeep, the more things I can get at any parts store, the less time I spend in a Moab motel waiting for UPS or Fed-Ex

The pics, sorry it took so long

relay-1.jpg

In this pic the lights would be the fan,

Green the switch. So, to make it always on, the green wire goes to a 12 volt source that turns on with the ignition (not the acc side, just the running side).

the yellow still goes to the battery because thats what you need, clean strong power,

20111023_104207_652-1.jpg

the ground on the relay is where you want your toggle switch, remember that the switch has to be on for to work, when the switch is off, the ground breaks and the fan shuts off, so if you have a shielded switch like this one, the switch has to be turned around so that its on when the cover is closed and off when up.

Fanswitchonoff-1.jpg

The fan has its own ground, this needs to be grounded as close to the fan as you can, mine is grounded to a bolt on the inside of the grill right outside the shroud, and you'll want to touch the wires to your battery before hooking it all up and make sure the flow direction, usualy the fan has a black and a yellow wire, on mine black is (+) positive and yellow is (-) negative

20111023_104304_775-1.jpg

The fan I used was a little under $100 at O'Rielly (may be more in some places), its a Hayden 16" high flow fan and comes with everything to mount it, but not the 30a relay

image-missing.png

I have had good luck with this fan crawling and off-road, this is the reason I dont use salvage yard fans, this happened on the trail in Moab, and the flames were about 3' tall and took a full 3 lbs extinguisher to put out.

IMG_6985-1.jpg

Of all the ""get more power"" mods I have tried, this is the only one with a seriously noticeable difference. I dont think I made this look easy and it really is, I would reccomend taking the shroud off to attach the fan, just be sure to get it centered and test fit the fan to ensure it fits within the shroud. Happy trails. :)

Man thanks so much for the info and pics, so one more question just to double check, you mounted the factory shroud after centering and installing fan on the radiator?

Just one point on the shroud, in case you do any mud:

I used to run a Ford Taurus fan, complete with shroud. During one wheeling trip, the fan stopped working (not the fan's fault; a wire came undone behind the battery, but I did not find that until after I came home). I ended up having to run it direct from the battery, but the negative cable was not working (obviously, as there was no continuity!) so we used the high speed as positive and the low speed as negative. The fan ran long enough to get me out of the trail, but I burned it in the process.

Afterwards, I ran a fan much like yours with no shroud for another wheeling trip. I ended up with a lot of overheating because the tires would kick up a lot of mud into the radiator and clog it up, so no air could get through. I used some water from the melted ice in the cooler to clean it, but the trip was 2 days long, and at the end, I ended up having to stop every 15 minutes or so to let the engine cool.

Since then I got me a Lincoln fan that covers the entire radiator to avoid this problem (not to mention a double row aluminum radiator to be able to cool the engine even if half the radiator is clogged up), and I have not had any cooling issues since. This is just another reason why I think a shroud is a must, regardless of what fan you decide to run... Even more so on the 2.5L, where there is about a mile of distance between the engine and the radiator!

jfrabat said:
Just one point on the shroud, in case you do any mud:

I used to run a Ford Taurus fan, complete with shroud. During one wheeling trip, the fan stopped working (not the fan's fault; a wire came undone behind the battery, but I did not find that until after I came home). I ended up having to run it direct from the battery, but the negative cable was not working (obviously, as there was no continuity!) so we used the high speed as positive and the low speed as negative. The fan ran long enough to get me out of the trail, but I burned it in the process.

Afterwards, I ran a fan much like yours with no shroud for another wheeling trip. I ended up with a lot of overheating because the tires would kick up a lot of mud into the radiator and clog it up, so no air could get through. I used some water from the melted ice in the cooler to clean it, but the trip was 2 days long, and at the end, I ended up having to stop every 15 minutes or so to let the engine cool.

Since then I got me a Lincoln fan that covers the entire radiator to avoid this problem (not to mention a double row aluminum radiator to be able to cool the engine even if half the radiator is clogged up), and I have not had any cooling issues since. This is just another reason why I think a shroud is a must, regardless of what fan you decide to run... Even more so on the 2.5L, where there is about a mile of distance between the engine and the radiator!

Can I install a electric fan and keep my stock shroud? I like the mud protection it offers

Can I install a electric fan and keep my stock shroud? I like the mud protection it offers

I have mine inside the shroud, the shroud is there to pull air from an engine mounted fan, once the fan is on the radiator directly the shroud doesnt make much difference

O_M_Jeep said:
I have mine inside the shroud, the shroud is there to pull air from an engine mounted fan, once the fan is on the radiator directly the shroud doesnt make much difference

I think keeping the stock shroud would also avoid the headache of relocating the power steering reservoir

I think keeping the stock shroud would also avoid the headache of relocating the power steering reservoir

I'd figure a mount or cut the shroud if I had to make that choice, getting rid of the large shroud. The benefit of having easy access to the engine compartment and standing on the front axle to maintain the engine is a major plus.

I am not understanding, are you running with the fan shroud or not. I am slow not stupid DUH.

yes, it works very well, but an electric fan directly on the radiator is going to work with or without the shroud, the larger the fan the better is the only goal.

Well I just might be looking into a hayden fan from parts store, my biggest concern with a flex-a-lite was availibility and cost on replacement parts. I like the piece of mind of that a part is easy to get. But then again is a hayden fan pretty reliable. Also it I go this route I would get a backup relay.

The Hayden fan has been very reliable for me so far, the fan I had that caught fire was a carquest brand and wasnt as well constructed at all, when we switched to the Hayden fan even the wife could tell the difference in quality (she knows less about cars than anyone I know lol). The Hayden fans are a very heavy duty option. a spare relay is always a good idea, in the fuse box under the hood there is room for a couple spares, and if your really out a long way from no where you can always carry your old mechanical fan as a trail spre as well if your leaving the shroud in, I usualy carry mine in my tow vehicle for a just in case kinda thing.

You can see how the parts stores fan shroud covers very little radiator, not nearly as efficient as the Taurus fan. Having used both, the Taurus fan is a heavier unit and better made than anything I've seen available over the counter. Parts store fan on top, Taurus fan follows.
7050010237_large-1.jpg

taurusfan1-1.jpg

You can see how the parts stores fan shroud covers very little radiator, not nearly as efficient as the Taurus fan. Having used both, the Taurus fan is a heavier unit and better made than anything I've seen available over the counter. Parts store fan on top, Taurus fan follows.
7050010237_large-1.jpg

taurusfan1-1.jpg

You can also get a Lincoln Mk VIII (I think it was VIII; could be wrong!), which uses the same fan as the Ford Taurus, but an even larger shroud which completely covers the radiator...

As for the fan without a shroud, it will work for dd, but if you will, it may heat up a bit... But it depends on the fan. I have used two without shrouds, and one overheated, and the other did not when wheeling (the one it overheated with was a band aid job to get out of the trail, so there was also some mud in the radiator).

Felipe

Unfortunatly for me, I am 345 miles from the nearest salvage yard, so I dont have that option, and on Labor day in Moab I certainly didnt have that option, but mine works very well and Im happy with it :)

Back