2.5L performance?

Her's how mine looks, BTW...

DSC09194-1.jpg

DSC09193-1.jpg

Felipe

Man decisions, decisions, I did find out that the 16 inch hayden fan has a 20.40 amp draw and 1,500 CFMs. Heres a question can I lose horse power with a high amp draw ? or it just charges as you go?

Let me tell you a little bit about my rig, its a 97 TJ with a 2.5L, It only has a 2in Budget boost with 31in BFG muds, I am a daily driver. I have many mods under the hood thats makes it a joy to drive, quick take offs good highway speeds. Here are a few things it has under the hood, a home fabricated cold air, air tube heat wrap a 4.0L TB, custom throttle body spacer, accel 42,000 volt coil, 8mm accel wires, NGKs gapped at .040, a magnaflow exhaust and catback. I light to keep things light wieght as much as possible. I do plan to get some skids for the diffs and some medium duty rock sliders. I do have a kilby steering box skid. The type of wheeling I like to do is not super hard core, its more like exploration or some might call overlanding. My goal is to build a dependable rig and wish not to break anything. I am also looking into limited slip not full lockers. I would like to add a 1in BL and some 33x10s. keeping driveline issues down to a minimum. I do have some quick disco which are not installed yet. All in all I want to keep it a mild wheeler. I know if I ever bump up to 33s I would have to swap out my existing 3.10 gear ratio. O yeah I do have lights, spots and floods facing in every direction, including ground lights. I have thoughts of building a aluminum trail rack, maybe roof rack to who knows. But yeah thats why I was asking so much about a E-fan. My first thought is to keep the mechanical fan due to the fact it would be one less thing to malfunction. I am just interested in just a lil more HP, even thou my lil rig is pretty fast the way it sits. It has plenty torque, HP and passing power on the highway. But we all always looking for a little faster a little bigger. Yep got the bug. FUN FUN.

Thats why I use common parts as much as possible, there are no salvage yards in the Natl Forests, on the Rubicon or Moab, you can only carry so many spare parts, I like wheeling and that means remote areas too often, I wont let my trail durability depend on a used junk yard part.

To each their own, but in my opinion the OEM Ford fan is higher quality than the junk at the parts stores. I highly doubt you'll find a parts store in a Nat'l Forest, on the Rubicon, or on Moab trails.

Quicksand97, the '97 2.5L came with 4.10 gearing with the 5spd and 3.73 gearing with the auto, where did you get the 3.10 from?

I highly doubt you'll find a parts store in a Nat'l Forest, on the Rubicon, or on Moab trails. QUOTE]

:) lol, thats true, but you will find a Napa, O'Riellys, and Carquest all nearby, but no salvage yards, I have had this experiance and I learned from it, when you break on the trail, people are willing to take you back to your tow vehicle, or to a parts store if you drove to the trail, its usualy about 4 to 6 pm when you get to town, and they dont want to go picking yards with you, even if one was there and somehow open, if you have a tow vehicle, you still wont find one open, even the next day as most people wheel weekends, this is just my personal experiance, and thats why it plays a part in where I get my parts.

That Griffin looks great in there, and the fan shroud fits it very well.

I also like it very much... And if I cant keep the engine cool with THAT radiator and THAT fan, this is pretty much a lost cause then! :p Seriously, I do like the way it looks; I think it still gives great access to the engine, but the gap is not as big as with the single row radiator and the Ford fan. Plus, I figured even if I manage to clogg up half the radiator with mud, it should still be able to work almost as efficiently as the old radiator. But we'll see this weekend how it does (I'm suppossed to go wheeling, and although there has been no rain for 4 days, it rained 17 days in a row before!).

:) lol, thats true, but you will find a Napa, O'Riellys, and Carquest all nearby, but no salvage yards, I have had this experiance and I learned from it, when you break on the trail, people are willing to take you back to your tow vehicle, or to a parts store if you drove to the trail, its usualy about 4 to 6 pm when you get to town, and they dont want to go picking yards with you, even if one was there and somehow open, if you have a tow vehicle, you still wont find one open, even the next day as most people wheel weekends, this is just my personal experiance, and thats why it plays a part in where I get my parts.

Trust me on this one, swaping out a parts store fan for a Ford or Taurus fan is something done in a couple of minutes. I had to loose my Ford fan (as a result of my own stupidity for not checking it properly before trying to do a patchwork mend that ended up burning it up) to install a comon fan a friend had with him in the middle of a muddy trail with rain coming down, and it took about 5 minutes to get the job done.

I also do not have any worthwhile junkyards around (not many american cars in junkyards here in Costa Rica anyway!) but I still carry the Lincoln fan. Why? I rather go in with the best fan I can get my hands on in the first place. I still have the old fan I used to get back out of the trail, and I bring it as a spare, but I rather go in with what I think is the best equipment so that I feel there is less room for failure in the trail. But to each his own, and if the auto parts store ones are the ones that give you confidence, by all means, go for that... It is all about peace of mind, and whatever gives you that confidence, I think it is what you should go for.

Man decisions, decisions, I did find out that the 16 inch hayden fan has a 20.40 amp draw and 1,500 CFMs. Heres a question can I lose horse power with a high amp draw ? or it just charges as you go?

The high amp draw is only a matter when you turn the fan on; once they get going, the amp draw is drastically reduced. You can also get fan controllers (Flex-a-lite and Delta Current Control make some) that have the soft start feature and that drastically reduces amp draw, if you are too worried about that, but to put 20A in perspective, it is almost the same current draw you get from a pair of 100W offroad lights (200W / 12V = 17A).

OK no worrys on amp draw then, now which fan do I put on my wish to do list. O yea I washed my lil rig today and noticed I have super light surface rust under the front end around the tie rod ends and stuff. Also found some surface rust on the factory gas skid. I wonder if its because I only live a mile inland from pacific coast. Anyone Know whats the best way to prevent this. I will be sanding and repainting the gas skid, but what about front end components? Is there a spray or something I can use. I thought of wd40 then I thought would that loosen bolts and stuff. Maybe spray Armor All who knows what will work to prevent this build up of light rust. Maybe thats why I have replaced a couple of lower shock bushings, twice. Maybe I can use my wifes special skin conditioner Ha Ha.

For the fan, I recommend the Lincoln one, but the ford will also work just fine (I just like the fact that the lincoln shroud covers 100% of the radiator, but it's the same motor in there). Either should be cheaper than the Flex-A-Lite alternative. Then just use a switch and relay for running it if you want to keep it simple, or use a temperature setup if you want to make it a bit better.

As for the rust, if it is only surface rust, you can just use WD-40 or similar to avoid it getting worse. If you want to get rid of it, you need to sand and paint, or use POR-15 directly (but I would not do that for surface rust).

Sparky, would you mind sharing where you got your fan? The mounting looks good. Also, what did you do for the temperature sender?

OK I will sand and paint my factory skid. Sounds good. You think its ok to use wd40 on front end components to prevent rust?

OK I will sand and paint my factory skid. Sounds good. You think its ok to use wd40 on front end components to prevent rust?

WD40 has its place, and that place is not a rust inhibbitor....
i am a industrial mechanic, i have heard the thery of this b4 and WD40 is not a preventitve measure its after it is rusted to get it apart. the oil base in WD40 is very low quality and breaks down very quickly
there are alot of better was to skin this cat. one of whick is to use motor oil (just a better option than WD40)
i would use grease or there are other spary lubes out there that are better in comparison
just do a little reaserch and ill try nd find the name of the stuff others have used

(after WD40 dries it attracks water, and therefore rust)

WD40 has its place, and that place is not a rust inhibbitor....
i am a industrial mechanic, i have heard the thery of this b4 and WD40 is not a preventitve measure its after it is rusted to get it apart. the oil base in WD40 is very low quality and breaks down very quickly
there are alot of better was to skin this cat. one of whick is to use motor oil (just a better option than WD40)
i would use grease or there are other spary lubes out there that are better in comparison
just do a little reaserch and ill try nd find the name of the stuff others have used

(after WD40 dries it attracks water, and therefore rust)

OK well then I will not use WD40, Thank you much

i have a tj with a 2.5L. i am now running a 2" susp. lift with 31x10.5 tires. as far as performance, i have K&N a/f (not intake), power-aid throttlebody spacer, homemade 8mm sparkplug wires, and a summit glasspack instead of stock muffler. any other 2.5L tj owners know of a good way to get a little more kick out of the 2.5L to help with those knarly hills?

this is an article ive used as a guideline... plus try jeepsgonewild.org and go to their links page for more sites. ive used them and its not too bad.

the 4 banger is the beast of burden for jeep. i love it and wouldnt trade it for anything else

I agree with that. I have a yj with a 4 banger. I never considered it a sports car but I have that car for 12 years now and knock on wood, never had a issue with th 4 banger or the AX5. I treat it for what it is, know what is capable of and I so emotionally attached to that car Thai will NEVER consider selling it.

Back