2.5L performance?

OK well then I will not use WD40, Thank you much

I use a product that can be purchased from McMaster Carr. It is called Boeshield. The product was developed by Boeing to be sprayed on the landing gear non painted surfaces. It works great but it is a bit expensive. However, it is doing such a great product that it will last long time so in a long run it is not so expensive. Hope this helps.

I use a product that can be purchased from McMaster Carr. It is called Boeshield. The product was developed by Boeing to be sprayed on the landing gear non painted surfaces. It works great but it is a bit expensive. However, it is doing such a great product that it will last long time so in a long run it is not so expensive. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks alot I will look into that, I just happen to detail my rig today and again noticed all that surface rust on the under carraige. Also I agree I also have a 4 Banger and I love it. She does have many mods under the and I drive her pretty hard, like a sport car on the road. I know she is not but she holds her own. She is a keeper. Take care and Happy 4 Wheeling

Last edited:
Hey thanks alot I will look into that, I just happen to detail my rig today and again noticed all that surface rust on the under carraige. Also I agree I also have a 4 Banger and I love it. She does have many mods under the and I drive her pretty hard, like a sport car on the road. I know she is not but she holds her own. She is a keeper. Take care and Happy 4 Wheeling

Here is a link to it. McMaster-Carr
Like I have said, it is a bit more expensive but worth it. I own a small machine shop and we spray that stuff on all exposed surfaces of our machines to prevent corrosion.
Happy 4 wheeling to you to!

Sparky-Watts said:
What Bounty said. Don't know what year you have, but if it's after '91 (I think), there's an intake restrictor you can pull that I did that gave me a bit more noticeable gain. With the TBS, intake tube pulled, and an electric fan, I found a couple more ponies. Nothing breath taking, but it pulls better up hills and into the wind now.[/

Last edited:
Here is a link to it. McMaster-Carr
Like I have said, it is a bit more expensive but worth it. I own a small machine shop and we spray that stuff on all exposed surfaces of our machines to prevent corrosion.
Happy 4 wheeling to you to!

Hey thanks for the link I will look into that, by the way where abouts is your machine shop located?

head to a scrap yard and find you a turbo off a little 4cyl car if you caqn and rebuild it if nesacary, tottally cool project and worth doing if youve got the time and the knowledge, plus the electric fan helps high end speeds. other than that your jeep is identical to mine mod wise. same lift, glasspack, 2'' lift, 31-10 50s.

head to a scrap yard and find you a turbo off a little 4cyl car if you caqn and rebuild it if nesacary, tottally cool project and worth doing if youve got the time and the knowledge, plus the electric fan helps high end speeds. other than that your jeep is identical to mine mod wise. same lift, glasspack, 2'' lift, 31-10 50s.

I am pretty happy with my current set up right now as far as power along with its 31s. She takes off the line real quick and hits top speed fast and holds it pretty good even on headwind going uphill. O yea if I slap on 32s or 33s I would lose all that power and would difitnetly need a gear change. I have considered a e-fan but concerned that its that much more to go wrong on the trail, making it less reliable. O but guess what I did do, you will think I am nuts but it works and made a difference. I trimmed down my factory metal belt driven fan. Yep started trimming about a year ago a little at a time. Cut the inside corners at the end of the blades about 1/2 in from corner going downward and then cutting across at about a 45 degree angle. Basically cutting the corners off. Then a while later I cut downward even more at a extreme taper about 3 inches downward. Was I worried and a little scared to reach the point of no return and start over heating? O yes I was. So the end result is that the fan is lighter, actually cools better, and she whines up real fast or you can say spools up real fast which works great on take off. I have to shift real quick from 1st to 2nd gear if I stomp on the pedal. Working well. But NO! it wast good enough I wanted more, silly boy that I am. What I did next was also spooky. At the middle of each lenght of the blades I drilled a 3/8 hole, then drilled them to half inch holes, looking for even less drag and strain on water pump. Each hole was not drilled straight on but in a angle such as facing the direction the blades are turning. Like facing towards passenger side. Which would be in sync going counter clockwise. Ooo again it worked and I could feel just a tad more quickness in response with no cooling problems at all. I know sounds a little cheesy but it worked out great. Works so well now that I am now thinking I dont need a e-fan. I setup is better than stock fan, almost flex without the flex, yet not having to worry about parts going bad with a e-fan. O by the way my highway speeds are easier to reach and hold longer and my MPG have increased. I guess thats good, NO? Anyway cacth you on the trail, Happy Wheeling.

My 2.5 is running a k&n intake for a 2000 4.0, and i bought an extra boot and pipe extension to get it around the a/c line. It has a throttle body spacer from poweraid and a 4.0 tb from a 97cherokee, the stock sensors will bolt right in, no need for harness adaptions, and new oe injectors and a header from pacesetter for a 98 4 cylinder, i had to extend the harness with some connectors to make the upstream o2 sensor work, i also put in a sport clutch, and cut the exhuast short right after the cat with single inlet dual outlet flowmaster 40 series with 2 90 bend tips toawrd the pavement so i wasnt scorching the axles. I have to do a thermostaat swap and then put in my jet chip still and converting to electric cooling, the oe jeep lliberty 05 model cooling fan will plug in and fit perfectly and you can pick up the harness for it at any auto parts stor and will go right into you current thermo swich on the thermostaat housing. Next step is 505 performance for full race cam, and then some head work with roller rockers, and found forged pistons and a stroker kit, and a supercharger kit with avengers supercharging, from there i gotta do a double clutch setup with an ax15 cause i'll blow the ax5 apart. Plus i found some international harvester axles with dana 60's and 4.10 gearing 4x4 to put in from a 76 ih, along with a 6 inch lift. Call me crazy but its a start on 4 cylinder performance anyways.

Skull jeep with all that modding for the 4 banger I don't see why you wouldn't just drop a v8 especially with those new heavier axles with by the way dana 60s would be BA

Yeap why not drop a V-8. Well I also have a 2.5L power plant with many mods under the hood, I guess its the challenge of making or trying to do what they say you can not do. That is making a 2.5L SCREAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!, YoooooHaaaaaaa!!!!!! Yeap once I get to the point from quick to super fast I will get a nice decal sporting 2.5L FAST. Well I can get that now. As a mad scientist back to the LABATORY to see what else I can do to make my little monster faster, lets see which is it? Should I go with air, fuel or spark? Maybe less wind drag or wieght. I think its a blast to make a 2.5L faster its the power to wieght ratio. I am just yaking again. Happy Wheeling my fellow jeepers.

Hey I wonder what affect a 2in tall TBS have ? Huh. Maybe inject some cold air into spacer ? Maybe It will blow up ? Huh ?

Skull jeep with all that modding for the 4 banger I don't see why you wouldn't just drop a v8 especially with those new heavier axles with by the way dana 60s would be BA

well v8s are out of my budget simply put, plus i wanna be that guy who has the first all out 2.5, i wanna be a tid bit different. plus the programmer i have can be adjusted for lower fuel consumption so i can save some mpgs not all of course. It was an idea, and im runnin with it. I gotta bud who hates 4 cylinders and ive had other tell me go to 6 or 8, well if i can build a 4 to have the same power levels wheres the hurt in it? lol I wouldnt think it would be all too bad. not like im drag racing, sure the iron blocks can handle a 40 shot of nos, without timing retarding and a 50 shot with a 2 degree retard. But that would be just a 5lb bottle wich id use once a month to make a honda squirm. XD happy wheeling!

Also on a side note, in 2000 they did something to these 4 cylinders that really up the ante, cause i drove my buds 97 and of course his was stock, but theres a big difference in the basic power levels between those 3 years... the newer 4 cylinder doesnt lack that much more juice. I keep up with my dads 4.0 01 cherokee classic with the automatic just fine. But his motor never goes above 3,000 on the tac. -.-

Skulljeep683 said:
well v8s are out of my budget simply put, plus i wanna be that guy who has the first all out 2.5, i wanna be a tid bit different. plus the programmer i have can be adjusted for lower fuel consumption so i can save some mpgs not all of course. It was an idea, and im runnin with it. I gotta bud who hates 4 cylinders and ive had other tell me go to 6 or 8, well if i can build a 4 to have the same power levels wheres the hurt in it? lol I wouldnt think it would be all too bad. not like im drag racing, sure the iron blocks can handle a 40 shot of nos, without timing retarding and a 50 shot with a 2 degree retard. But that would be just a 5lb bottle wich id use once a month to make a honda squirm. XD happy wheeling!

If your gunna spray it. Might as well spray it. 150 shot lol. I spray 250 on my sbc. But all else aside. If you want a 2.5 to make power. Start by bumping up compression. Then a custom grind camshaft with at least .500 lift and a decent duration. Off set grind the crank to get a little more displacement. Or go low compression and a budget turbo set up.

If your gunna spray it. Might as well spray it. 150 shot lol. I spray 250 on my sbc. But all else aside. If you want a 2.5 to make power. Start by bumping up compression. Then a custom grind camshaft with at least .500 lift and a decent duration. Off set grind the crank to get a little more displacement. Or go low compression and a budget turbo set up.

lol well im goin with the supercharger option, i like the idea of boost! XD i found a place that has full race cams and mopar carries cams for them they call em midget motors. XD and im lookin for a place that sells displacement up cranks hoping i can remill the motor out a little too, as long as i dont have to spend obnoxious amounts money. XD lol

Make sure you build for a supercharger. Low compression like 7.5:1. And a supercharger friendly cam. Full race cams often have to tight lobe separation and will build crazy cylinder pressure. You will want a cam on a minimum of 113 lsa but would try for a 115. Most race cams are Ina 106 or 108 lsa. If your building a motor for supercharger I would spend money on pistons. Leave the block as thick as you can and run more Boost. You will make more power from more boost than a few cubic inches. Sorry motors are my specialty. I love motors I build race engine for a hobby/side job and have a few sbc running 9s on motor.

Make sure you build for a supercharger. Low compression like 7.5:1. And a supercharger friendly cam. Full race cams often have to tight lobe separation and will build crazy cylinder pressure. You will want a cam on a minimum of 113 lsa but would try for a 115. Most race cams are Ina 106 or 108 lsa. If your building a motor for supercharger I would spend money on pistons. Leave the block as thick as you can and run more Boost. You will make more power from more boost than a few cubic inches. Sorry motors are my specialty. I love motors I build race engine for a hobby/side job and have a few sbc running 9s on motor.

ahh, well the race cam i researched i'll look into for what lsa its got. and i was thinkin of a stroker kit and the supercharger will only put out 5lbs boost with a max set at 7, that will accommodate the current compression, i dont wanna change the ratio that much on it. if i do lower the compression then i might put a smaller pulley on it. its from avengers superchargers, they are reputable company and it comes with everything required in their kit including new injectors.

Ya. If your doing a stroker you will get new pistons so might as well get what compression you want. Go for a max 8.0:1. Then run 7-9 pounds. It'll be fun and safe. If going super charger you will want forged pistons anyway. Cast don't like forced induction. They can last but one hiccup there done.

Yeah i wanna do forged internals and also find free flaoting wristpins too, the charger also comes with a water to air intercooler so im hoping to do my own mods to that to crank the temp down on the air goin in. but this is all planning stages at the moment. i wanna do all the little blot ons before hand and then dive into the motor and then the supercharger.

Back