33's and 4.5 inches of lift

vfrf2

From what I understand 6 inches of lift and 33's are the rule of thumb. Drawbacks of this configuration would be wheel travel only???????

What about 4.5 inches of lift and wheel well trimming to run 33s...32s yes, no, maybe?

Allen

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 25, 2003 - 08:10 AM[addsig]

Depending on what you want to do. I've never run more then 3" with 31's and have offroaded for years. Bigger tires cause more strain on the axles and gears. The only reason to have bigger tires is ground clearance. Tire tread patterns also have a lot to do with how well you do offroad. I prefer mud terrains. Finally, regardless of the size of your tires, you will always get stuck. Period. If you don't, you aren't 4 wheeling.[addsig]

I too have heard this vfrf2. However as rule of thumb goes everone has a differnet sized thumb. Ideas of how to do anything is as different as the people you ask. I think 4.5" and 33's will work and if it dont throw on a small shackle or body lift to give the extra space for the tires. No matter what you do how well you plan you are going to have extra work. I hate this part of it.

remember5 that was well put. Bigger is not always better. I run a 4 banger so 31's is going to be my tire size. smaller motor smaller tires equal less stress. Not better or worse just the other side of the coin. I will go with at least a 2.5 lift maybe a 3.5 to give me a bit more room under the fenders for wheel travel.

I love the sound of a big V8, and the looks of a tall Jeep but they are just not for me! I am just to old and fat to be climbing into some high boy ride. I have got to the point that if I can go around a mud hole or side trail a major hard spot on the trail if I can. Then I set and watch the youngens break parts and have to wash off the mess after.

I will do what has to be done to get to the top of the trail and I get stuck and break parts too just mot as many as I did at a younger age. Smart driven is the best mod on any Jeep! You can't get from a 4 wheel parts catalog. It comes from fallen down and getten busted up then remembering how and why you did that.

So good luck on your mods and I hope someone like natty, bount hunter, snitty, bigblackjeep, and I am tired of typen so I am leaveing out about a million others will soon come and gives you a real answer. Tug[addsig]

Good advice! Thanks you guys...

I think I'll go with the 3 inches and stick with 31s then. If I seem to get some nasty rubbing I'll just do some trimming on the flares. My concern was with having to go with a SYE, a transfer case drop...a lot of stuff I didn't really want to get into. In another posting I had a question about having to do lower control arms...would it help to extend them out an inch of so if going with 3 inches of lift? I've got my Rancho shocks, rear track bar relocation bracket...going to do with a set of Dodge Dakota leaf packs in the rear and throw some 3 inch lift coils in the front.

Viffer...[addsig]

3" lift and 31's (31x10.5 MAX) are a good setup... 32's will fit under a 3" lift, but they will rub![addsig]

nates jeep looks really nice with the 3". im either doing that or 4.5" with 32's, have a look at rig #1 on rustys offroad its got the 4.5 and doesnt look to bad.[addsig]

I'm sticking with the 31s I already have on it...it's not on the road yet, so I don't think I have to worry about rubbing while moving it around in my driveway. :) I finally got the materials to do my 3 inch coil spacers. Doing a homemade setup that I saw posted here on the net, once I find some newer coils I'm going to get it started. I figured since I'm taking it apart I might as well replace the front coils...after 18 years of service I'm sure they are ready to be retired.
As far as the back, I'm going to go for a Dakota leaf pack setup, I'm keeping in mind the that I'll be towing with it and figured that it would be a decent upgrade. Tell you what...finding a set of Dakota springs here in the N.Va are for less than $100 is hard to do. And forget it on eBay...nothing out there in the 2 weeks I've been looking. I thought about shackle extensions and blocks but, want to keep everything as tight as possible.

Allen...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 27, 2003 - 03:09 PM[addsig]

Back