4" lift, would like to get another 2 inches

288sunny

My 2003 TJ has a 4" lift, nothing special, and 33 12.50 12's. I would like to get another 2" for a total of 6... what would be the best way to do this.. I dont want to spend a ton of money.. Could i do the rubber spacers on top of springs? 2" body lift??

The jeep does not have ADJ. track bars, and no SYE kit either.. Also what would be the cons by adding another 2"s, I have 3.73 gears in the rear, and i have the 4.0??? lets hear some thoughts, ideas, pro's cons, etc... thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSC01620.JPG
    DSC01620.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,555

the higher you go you are losing COG somthing to think about 4inch is perfect in my opinion

you want more lift? your tires look small as it is. 6" of lift is way too much lift for a tj and 33's. 4" lift and 35 is the hot set up.

6" of combined spring/spacer is too much lift on a short-arm setup, really should use long-arms for that much lift. The short-arms become too steep and handling is horrible, not to mention a rougher ride.

I would add a stock coil isolator on top of the front coil pack, same as what's already there. They're 5/8" thick and would level your jeep out nicely. You can get them at the stealership and they're stackable.

What do you need the other 2" for?From what you said you dont off road it much so there is no need.You can easily get 25" tires under that now.With out off roading you could probably even get bigger tires under those fenders.

I dont do much offroading as you can tell in the pix, Im not a big fan of tearing up my vehicles, specially something with alot of money in it.. As for the lift i would just like to have about 6" under me, 4" seems normal and everyone has them, so alittle taller would be better..

as it sits you can add a 35 inch tire and get your extra lift with out compromising the pinion angles ,any more lift you start playing russian rulett with pinion angles and start busting parts and make things wear faster
only thing is you may need to change out gearing in diffs with the bigger tires

I would stay at 4" and go with a set of 35's. She'll look really good on them. If you add another 2" the cheap way you're going to be dealing with a drivetrain and suspension nightmare.

In any case, if you are going to do it, make sure to get some long arms like BH said, he knows his ****. You're almost certainly going to need an SYE kit. You might need a longer driveshaft or a t-case drop to accommodate the new pinion angle, I may be wrong here and I haven't done the math. You'll definitely want to regear the rear axle if you're going to be pushing anything bigger than 35's, which I'd assume you will, because otherwise there's no reason to add the 2" of lift. Otherwise you'll never see 5th gear again.

You're gonna want to look into stronger axles as well. For 37's and up I'd recommend going to a F8.8 or D44 at least. The stock D35's probably won't be able to take anything bigger than 35's for long. You could just get stronger axle shafts but I recommend upgrading the entire axle so you can get some disc brakes in the process (this will pretty much be a given if you pull a F8.8 from an Explorer.) You'll need the extra braking power. Finally, there's always the MPG hit to consider, but I'm guessing you don't mind it :D

So yeah ... this kind of thing won't come cheap. You can probably fab some of the parts and get some out of the junkyard but that only goes so far. To do it properly ... I'd say you could spend at least a grand, probably more. Possibly way more. Depends on how far you wanna go.

You need one of these..
attachmentphpattachmentid469376d12543671-1.jpg

Oh god, it's so ugly.

I dont plan on going bigger than 35's, and i probably wont even do that until my current pro comp's 33's wear down to nothing, i just wanted the jeep a bit taller, and im pretty sure if i get 35's on my 4" now they'll rub...

rub I have a 2 inch lift on my flatie with 35s and my wheel base is way shorter than yours with 4 inch those 35 will be swimming in there since thell be alot of clearence

I think I figured it out you want to be the first roll over fatality with bling
image-missing.png

another Question why own a jeep if your not going to use it for what it was built for ???

if thats the case put some 22inch rims with those spinners add some those tires with no rubber and really get some bling going or why not just make it a low rider :rofl::?|:crazy::D

Oh we cant forget those frillie things around the windshield
image-missing.png

OR is this the look your going for

image-missing.png

Last edited:
Your Jeep is very nice. If you're smart, you can wheel a stock Jeep. It won't hurt anything.

Anyways, if you want the big dumb Jeep look, tack on a three inch body lift. Wham, you have SEVEN inches of bad boy, street rippin lift.

Also, since you aren't going off road anytime soon, would you mind shipping those Mud Terrains to me? My address is really simple.

Did I mention your Jeep is nice?

the mud terrains are for sale as we speak, with or without the wheels, looking to get nitto's or toyo's, might possible look at the pro comp extremes

So many times you'll see a mall crawler go by with 7.5 inches of lift, sparkling chrome blinging everywhere, and then you FINALLY hear it . . . "f-f-f-f" MAKE IT RUMBLE before you lift it somemore!!! It should be setting off alarms as you rumble through the parking lot.

I've got a buddy who has a jeep with almost 12" of lift with 40's, course its been regeared and has a supercharger, but it does not go off road, he calls it his dairy queen jeef:)

35" will fit easily with the 4" lift.With out wheeling it you could fit 37" tires with out rubbing unless you wheel it and flex the suspension alot.

Well i greatly appreciate all the info fellows, i think im just gonna go with 1.25 or maybe 2" bodylift and then i'll get some 35's when these tires wear out.

are the any negatives to putting a body lift on?
Also when adding a body lift does anything have to be cut, rigged, moved, rewired, etc...

are the any negatives to putting a body lift on?
Also when adding a body lift does anything have to be cut, rigged, moved, rewired, etc...

1" body lift would be the max. If you go with more you will have a higher risk of snapping body mount bolts and having the tub possibly slide on the frame. But if you aren't going to get it in the dirt or rocks, I guess it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure you will only have to trim the bottom of the Radiator fan shroud on the bottom to clear the blades.

the mud terrains are for sale as we speak, with or without the wheels, looking to get nitto's or toyo's, might possible look at the pro comp extremes

How much are you asking for the MT's?

Back