93 Grand Cherokee A/C problem

a9t3jeep

Hey all!
Newbie to this site, but seems really cool from what I could tell. Right, my problem. So i have a 93 Grand Cherokee 5.2 liter 4x4 (awesome) that hasn't given me too much trouble until now. Since the day I bought it, the A/C has never worked because the previous owner said that it needed a recharge. So i finally got around to buying the freon and I went to charge the system (using the cheap-ass Autozone charger) and right as i started to check the system, it was reading 50 psi... so i didnt add any (made this mistake on my camaro before). I also noticed that the compressor kicks on about every 20 seconds for about 5 seconds then goes off. I cannot remember exactly what its called but does this system have some sort of "check valve?" Any idea where it is located? Cabin is still as warm as ever so i decided to run over to checkers/autozone and they didnt have an idea except telling me to go to the dealership.... screw that! Any ideas? Sucks living in NM cause its ALWAYS hot and a/c is really great here! Thanks all!!!

Ok guys... not up super late and I actually am working in the daylight! So, I finally got a new A/C high pressure switch and a new low side line and got em both installed with new o-rings and filled it back up to check for leaks... everything went ok, filled it up with what was left from the old freon and put 2 new cans of the good stuff and still a nice 70* wind blowing from the vents :x Hmmm.... Any new ideas? Gonna try the evap. core i guess, see if thats ok or maybe the expansion valve? We'll see.

Got it! Bad Evap core ;) !!! Took for freakin ever to remove and install, finally got it all set up and refilled and a nice 40* as soon as i started the jeep :lol: ! Now if i could only figure out how to repair the driver's door alarm so that i dont have to unlock it from the passenger's side (although it makes me seem like a nice guy when I'm on a date :shades:) .....

I had the same situation, using the passenger door to unlock the car that is. Then one day when I was forty miles from home I went to unlock the passenger side and the friggin security system wouldn't accept the fact that I used the key. After I invested about $500 trying to get the dealership to disarm the security, unsucsessfully, It came down to a broken wire in both the door harnesses. Pull the rubber boot off and tug around on those wires and I bet you'll find a broken one or two. Check both doors. Glad you got the AC running.

Back