94 YJ water pump replacement

drewbaby

I'm going to attemp to replace my worn out water pump tomorrow...This is a big step for me, I don't do too much working on my Jeep, yet I want to start. I bought a Haynes manual yesterday and I'm pretty excited about learning how to work on my Jeeps...Any pointers/shortcuts on replacing the water pump would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last night I was looking at mine (trying to figure out why belt is squealing), doesn't look like it would be too terrible to change WP. Just do it on a day when you have plenty of time and can take your time. Clean mating surfaces real well. Good luck.

Take the radiator and shroud off, it's only four bolts and will give you a worlds more room to work with. also if your comes with paper gaskets, spray them with a gasket sealer on both sides, and a little anti-seize on the bolts help as well.

Take your time and don't be a hack. there is no prize for finishing quick.

Don't buy one from auto zone. I took 2 of them back and ended up going to napa to finally get one that would fit. The first 2 I got from Auto zone were cast wrong. The pulley would have rubbed the pump housing and belts were 1/4 inch out of allighnment.

Also download the Factory Service Manual from the web (let me know if you cant find it; I have the '94, but it's HEAVY, so we need to find something other than e-mail). It is MUCH more useful than either Chilton or Haynes (I have all 3).

Back