Add a lock?

Joopin

Super Moderator

Is there a way to add locks to a pair of half doors that doesn't have them? They just have handles but no keyhole or lock inside... I would like to get them to lock! Thanks[addsig]

anything is possable you'll have to add the hole and put in the lock, you might have to rig up a new cam on the back of the cylinder and get a makeshift shaft and bell crank. As a locksmith i've done things like this in the past its no picnic but it can be done. best to take off your door skin and inpsect it to see if there is a way to lock up the door. prolly just end up putt pressure on the handle linkage so it can't be pulled open. but if somebody pulls hard enough it'll pop[addsig]

but now that i think about it...its half doors anyone with fingers and common sense can bypass a lock in a half door...zipper[addsig]

You can actually buy locks that that fit on your hinges. That seems to be the best option to keep them from getting ripped of.
4wd.com has them, they are made by Tuffy. They go gor $43.95 and will fit cj,yj,tj. But they say they won't work with stainless steel hinges.

Wride.[addsig]

Go to home depot and buy either a dead bolt or Has anyone ever seen the old Mr. Bead on public TV, his car had a master lock with a latch!
PS i am just kidding, you might want to scour the junk yars to loof for a jeep or any vehicle with a flat door pannel, cut out both sides, weld them to your door, get a locking latching mechanism and interior handle, and change the tumblers[addsig]

DO NOT PUT LOCKS ON IT!!!!

Some people are smart enough to unzip the window with their finger, but I had some moron slice my top to get in. If you're going to put some money somewhere put it into an alarm system, a good one, but even that will only keep out the honest criminals[addsig]

Hmm maybe your right starrinth... I am going to put a kill switch in my jeep soon anyway... a homemade security system! Oh and Honest Criminals? There's an oxymoron if I ever saw one! :lol: [addsig]

Back